In a day and age when celebrity sex tapes were not as widely expected, one man said he was the sole audience of the sexual affair between movie star Marilyn Monroe and President John F. Kennedy. More than a decade after former Hollywood private investigator Fred Otash admitted to spying on the famous duo during their 1960’s romance, the information was brought to the surface again this month when Otash’s daughter, Colleen, released her father’s documents pertaining to the claims.
Information from the files was published by the Hollywood Reporter on Thursday about Otash's claims that he filmed the alleged sex tape after Monroe expressed her desire to own a “mini-phone listening device” and record her telephone calls. Otash confessed that he started to spy on the “Gentlemen Prefer blondes” actress when she was paying him to install the recording equipment.
Otash previously confirmed his admissions of spying on the famous couple during an interview with Vanity Fair in 1992, just before his death at age 70, claiming he decided to reveal the information after growing tired of denying the truth. “I would have kept it quiet all my life… Yes, I did hear a tape of Jack Kennedy f--ing Monroe. But I don't want to get into the moans and groans of their relationship. They were having a sexual relationship, period,” he said.
In the latest reports regarding the documents, Otash states that he obtained the personal recordings of Monroe and JFK’s love affair while monitoring actor Peter Lawford's home in Malibu, an assignment whose main task was to monitor the Democratic Party on behalf of Howard Hughes and Richard Nixon. “When the original Lawford house was wired, Monroe was not part of the plan,” said Otash, who said Monroe became a by-product of the investigation.
While Monroe wasn’t Nixon or Hughes’ main target, Otash said it was recording equipment that led him to have to listen to the death of one of Hollywood’s most legendary stars. “I listened to Marilyn Monroe die,” Otash said in the documents. The investigation also claimed the last hours of the star’s death involved a dispute with Kennedy during which she could be heard alleging that he treated her like a “piece of meat.”
The alleged tapes were reportedly removed from Lawford's home following Monroe’s death and have reportedly since “disappeared.”
This isn’t the first time Monroe has been accused of performing sex on camera. Spanish collector Mikel Barsa claimed he discovered a 8-mm porn film that allegedly showed the actress having sex as a reportedly underage actress. According to the Huffington Post, Barsa was seeking $500,000 for the 6 ½-minute film; Marilyn Monroe expert Scott Fortner claimed the clip was not of the star, but a look-Alike.