- Will A ‘Kill Switch’ Deter Smartphone Theft?
February 17 2014 5:38 PM
Four U.S. senators have introduced a bill that would require carriers to include “kill switches” in smartphones, but wireless-industry critics say technological mandates won’t work.
- A Match Made In Customer Service Hell?
February 17 2014 3:11 PM
The planned Comcast / Time Warner Cable merger will combine two of the lowest-ranked companies in terms of customer service.
- Capital One Takes On Chase Bank In Deceptive Ad Dispute
February 14 2014 6:11 PM
Capital One is arguing that ads for Chase Bank’s Freedom Credit Card “misrepresented” certain claims.
- Is Lap Dancing Art? New York Judge Says No Way
February 14 2014 3:59 PM
A New York judge ruled that Manhattan’s Hustler Club does not qualify for a tax exemption on admission fees.
- Comcast-Time Warner Cable: Efficiency Or Monopoly?
February 13 2014 12:43 PM
Advocates for media diversity are blasting the possible merger, which still needs approval from antitrust regulators.
- New Atheist Website: A Must-Read Soon?
February 12 2014 6:25 PM
TheHumanist.com, a news website from the nonprofit American Humanist Association, aims to be a hub for atheists and nonbelievers.
- NYU Bends (A Little) On Unpaid Internships
February 12 2014 2:39 PM
New York University is taking steps to ensure that unpaid internships on CareerNet comply with labor laws, but should it be listing them at all?
- Online Privacy Advocates Blitz Congress On NSA Spying
February 11 2014 12:42 PM
More than 6,000 websites are helping their visitors beseech Congress in an Aaron Swartz-inspired protest against government surveillance.
- Is Dumb Starbucks A Legal Spoof? Trademark Experts Weigh In
February 10 2014 4:31 PM
The people behind Dumb Starbucks are calling their L.A. coffee shop a parody, but trademark law isn’t so clear on what constitutes infringement.
- Getty Images Goes On A Copyright Lawsuit Spree
February 07 2014 5:02 PM
Court records show that Getty Images has filed a string of recent federal lawsuits, inviting claims of “copyright trolling” from its critics.
- Early-Morning Amber Alert Freaks Out Pennsylvania
February 07 2014 11:27 AM
Since the FCC added Amber Alerts to its wireless alert program, many smartphone owners are caught completely off guard when their devices go off at all hours.
- Meatless McDonald’s? Vegan Activist Wants Plant-Based Choices
February 06 2014 5:31 PM
Following CEO Don Thompson’s admission that McDonald’s is losing relevance, vegan author Kathy Freston is calling on the fast-food giant to offer meatless options.
- Coke Invests $1.25 Billion In Green Mountain
February 06 2014 8:10 AM
Coca Cola has invested $1.25 billion in Green Mountain, the popular Keurig systems maker, for a 10 percent stake; stocks for both soar.
- What Piers Morgan’s Latest Fight Says About Transgender Media Coverage
February 05 2014 5:08 PM
Janet Mock condemned Piers Morgan for “sensationalizing” her life after an interview in which she was described as “a boy until age 18.”
- NYC Mayor Boycotts St. Pat’s Parade Over Gay Exclusion
February 04 2014 5:37 PM
Bill de Blasio confirmed that he will not march in the 2014 St. Patrick’s Day Parade as pressure mounts from LGBT groups to bar NYC officials from participating.
- GoldieBlox Spoofs Quiet Riot, But This Time They Asked
February 03 2014 12:48 PM
The startup toy company GoldieBlox Inc. parodied “Cum On Feel the Noize” for a Super Bowl spot sponsored by Intuit Inc.
- Banned Super Bowl Ad Eclipsed By Real Controversy
January 31 2014 3:19 PM
Israeli company SodaStream is trying to ride a wave of hype surrounding its banned Scarlett Johansson commercial, but criticism of its West Bank operations is fueling the conversation.
- The 'Time-Life' Era Is Over
January 29 2014 1:18 PM
Employees at U.S. magazine publisher Time Inc. are being hit with yet another round of layoffs.
- Are NFL Cheerleaders Underpaid?
January 25 2014 7:35 AM
A lawsuit filed by an anonymous Oakland Raiderette has sparked calls for fair wages for cheerleaders in the NFL.
- Glenn Beck Fans Demand: 'I Want My Blaze TV!'
January 21 2014 2:08 PM
The conservative media personality is urging his viewers to besiege their cable companies with requests for TheBlaze TV, and it’s working.