Thanks to an unprecedented amount of excitement around Friday night's lottery, Mega Millions has jacked up the jackpot from $476 million to a whopping $640 million, an all-time record high. While lottery officials say the odds of winning the Mega Millions jackpot are about 1 in 176 million, the allure of a half-billion dollar jackpot is creating unprecedented excitement around the unprecedented jackpot.
As U.S. citizens continue to daydream of all of the ways they could spend almost half a billion dollars, here is a list of the 10 best lucky numbers to pick on your winning lottery ticket. You don't have to pick all of the numbers, but some of these numbers are guaranteed to bring you some luck in your hopes to become a multi-millionaire from Mega Millions. Mind you, Mega Millions only accepts numbers 1-56.
1. 11: Of all of the lucky numbers, the number 11 is probably the luckiest. There are tons of places you can find meaning in the number 11: World War I ended on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month; Cheers and MASH both ran for 11 seasons with 11 main characters; Apollo 11 accomplished the first lunar landing. The number 11 is everywhere you go, so you shouldn't go pick up a lottery ticket without it.
2. 4: The Pythagoreans, a cult of people in the 5th century BCE that were highly influenced by the Greek philosopher and mathematician Pythagoras, believed that the number 4 was the perfect number, representing the Tetrad. To the Pythagoreans, the Tetrad symbolized God. The number 4 is, without a doubt, the perfect choice to include in your lucky numbers list.
3. 76: Why is the number 76 so special? Think about it this way: 1776 was the fateful year where Americans freed themselves from the rule and tyranny of Britain. 76 can also be the number that frees you from the rule and tyranny of your job, and your boss. Celebrate George Washington's triumph and make 76 a pick.
4. 99: The last two-digit number, 99 is a very dramatic numeral, but it's also slightly mischievous. Customers who see price tags ending in .99 are fooled into thinking that the product is actually cheaper than it is, which makes it the perfect surprise number to include in your winning lottery ticket.
5. 64: Do you remember the joy you experienced when you first played the Nintendo 64? That joy will return to you if you choose this number for one of your lucky numbers. Except with $640 million, you could buy about 9,142,857 Nintendo 64s.
6. 8: There's something magical about the number 8. The number, which the Pythagoreans called the little holy number, symbolizes eternity and infinity. Turn the number 8 sideways and you'll see why: it's a neverending ellipse. Pick number 8 and your happiness will never end. (Disclaimer: Happiness may discontinue several hours after winning the lottery.)
7. 10: Do you remember being nine years old? Turning 10 was one of the biggest moments of your life: You reached the double digits. You were on top of the world! Celebrate what it was like to grow up by picking the number 10, which, on a scale from 1-10, is a perfect 10.
8. 56: Most people look at the number 56 and think, Oh look, it's that boring number between 55 and 57. Au contraire, mon frere: The number 56 is an incredible number, especially for a lottery ticket scenario like this one. 56 is the record-number of consecutive baseball games that Joe DiMaggio recorded a base hit, and 56 is also the number of times Michael Stipe from R.E.M says Yeah in the band's hit song Man on the Moon. You'll be on the moon screaming yeah too if you pick 56 and end up winning $640 million.
9. 83: When you turn the number 83 sideways, it almost looks like a cat wearing googles! That's all the luck you need right there; if only Mega Millions allowed you to pick 10 of the same number...
10. 3: It's the magic number. Everything good in this world comes in threes: Amigos, Pigs, Golden Goddesses of Hylian, the Holy Trinity, a mirepoix. If you hope to accomplish anything magical on Friday, you best make sure the number 3 is involved.
What numbers do you plan on picking in Friday's Mega Millions lottery? What do you hope to do with the $640 million, should you win? Let us know in the comments section below.