A bus driver was acquitted of homicide Tuesday in the deaths of four passengers killed in 2010 when his Megabus crashed into an overpass in upstate in New York, The Associated Press reported.
John Tomaszewski, 61, the driver of the double-decker bus, would have faced up to four years in state prison on each of four counts of criminally negligent homicide.
It was a tragic accident and four people lost their lives, Tomaszewski said as he left court with his wife, Valerie. It's something I'll have to deal with the rest of my life.
There were 29 passengers on the bus headed from Philadelphia to Toronto on the morning of Sept. 11, 2010 when it hit the Salina Bridge, just outside of Syracuse, the AP reported.
According to District Attorney, Chris Bednarski, Tomaszewski had used a personal GPS device, which caused him to pass the warning signs for the low bridge.
I'm disappointed for the families, Bednarski told the AP after the ruling. They were expecting closure. They're dealing as well as can be expected. It's something you probably never recover from.
Tomaszewski's lawyer argued CSX officers were responsible for the failure to fix the threat posed by the bridge, which had been the cause of past accidents. Eric Jeschke said his client had limited driving experience and wound up on the parkway after missing an exit from Interstate 81, the AP reported.
Those killed in the accident included a Philadelphia college student, a New Jersey teenager, a Malaysian preacher and an information technology specialist from India.