UPDATE: A 12-year-old is in custody for allegedly falsely reporting the "active shooter." Click here for more coverage.
Students and staff at a Minnesota middle school are safe but under lockdown following a 911 call of a gunman at the New Prague school Wednesday morning.
“All students and staff are safe,” Laura Knoke of New Prague Middle School told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune from inside the school.
The paper said a 911 call was placed reporting an “active shooter” at the school, but there was no verification of any shots fired in New Prague.
As of 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, authorities were “in the process of trying to clear all the schools. … We have not come across any injuries,” according to Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka.
Chuck Nickolay, mayor of New Prague, told the Associated Press that there was a “code red” situation at the school.
Parents of students at the middle school were notified about the lockdown but not told why it was put into effect, according to the Star-Tribune.
Knoke said there was no danger to any students.
“Officers are checking every room,” she said. “Nothing else is going on. We are just in a lockdown, and the officers are checking the building.”
The Star-Tribune noted that a 15-year-old at New Prague High School was charged last month with disorderly conduct and making terroristic threats after the high school found a note claiming there was a bomb in the bathroom.
Howard Koplowitz reports on crime and breaking news events for International Business Times. Howard formerly worked on IBT's continuous news desk, where he covered trending...