Sometimes the most valuable gift you can give is your time. If your mom simply wants to bond with you this Mother’s Day, consider staying in and catching up on some Netflix together on Sunday, May 8. The streaming service has several movies and TV shows perfect for mothers and daughters to binge-watch. Here’s 10 titles to stream on the 2016 holiday:
1. “Legally Blonde” — Surround yourself with girl power by watching the 2001 comedy which follows Elle Woods (Reese Witherspoon), a sorority fashionista who works her way into Harvard. She follows her dream man there but finds her true calling in the long run. Netflix also offers the 2003 sequel, “Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde.”
2. “A Mother’s Love” — Sometimes you need your mom to bring you back down to earth. The 2011 spiritual drama tells the story of a woman who doesn’t give enough attention to her family, until her mother sets her straight.
3. “The Year Dolly Parton Was My Mom” — An adolescent who finds out she was adopted goes on a quest to find the country singer whom she considers to be her biological mom. The 2011 drama is described by Netflix as a “heartfelt” and “feel good” film, which is perfect for Mother’s Day.
Watch the trailer below:
4. “Theresa Is a Mother” — This 2012 independent drama shows the struggles of motherhood. Actress C. Fraser Press plays a single mom who is forced to move her and her three daughters in with her parents after she is evicted from her home.
5. “Anywhere But Here” — Susan Sarandon and a young Natalie Portman play a mother-daughter duo in search of love and fame in this 1999 drama. Watch Adele (Sarandon) and she moves her daughter Ann (Portman) to Hollywood in the hopes of finding a rich man to take care of them.
6. “Sixteen Candles” — Who would pass up the chance to watch a John Hughes classic? Chances are mom will enjoy watch Molly Ringwald fall in love with her high school crush all over again in this 1984 romance.
7. “Once Upon a Time” — Emma (Jennifer Morrison) has spent her life trying to find her parents, only to discover they’ve been trapped in an enchanted, cursed world. Watch as she discovers her mother is Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and father is Prince Charming (Josh Dallas) living in the magical town of Storybrooke, Maine. Four seasons of the ABC fantasy series are available to stream.
Watch the Season 1 promo below:
8. “Life Unexpected” — In a quest to be emancipated from the foster care system Lux (Britt Robertson) tracks down her biological parents Cate and Blaze, played Shiri Appleby and Kristoffer Polaha, in this two-season show. Things don’t go as planned when a judge gives the former couple custody of their daughter.
9. “Switched at Birth” — Two families discover their teenage daughters are not their biological children after being switched at birth in the hospital. Throughout the four-season ABC Family show, the broods attempt to blend for the sake of Bay (Vanessa Marano), an artsy and emotional only child, and Daphne (Katie Leclerc), an athlete who suffer from hearing loss.
10. “Gilmore Girls” — When you think of famous mother-daughter TV relationships it’s no surprise if you immediately consider Rory and Lorelai. Before Netflix releases the four-part reboot, catch all seven seasons of the dramedy online.
Happy Mother's Day!