Sprint and Motorola unveiled the ADMIRAL today, a new tough-as-nails, professionally-minded, but cheat smartphone.
The phone will cost $100 with a Sprint contract and a mail-in rebate. It is an Android 2.3, Gingerbread, powered phone with a 1.2GHz processor, a 3.1-inch VGA touchscreen and a QWERTY keyboard. It will use Sprint's 3G (EVDO Rev. A) network with the walkie-talkie-like push-to-talk Direct Connect feature. The phone can be ordered in Sprint Stores beginning Oct. 23 and will be available Nov. 13 through all Sprint sales channels.
Sprint touts the phone's military-grade toughness, the company says the ADMIRAL is designed to meet Military Standard 810G for dust, shock, vibration, solar radiation, low pressure and high and low temperatures.
And with the scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass covering the touchscreen, only diamonds or more Gorilla Glass will leave an impression. Just don't drop the phone in water.
Motorola ADMIRAL will be the flagship smartphone of Sprint's all-new Sprint Direct Connect portfolio, David Owens, vice president of Product Development for Sprint, said on a press release. We know our customers will appreciate this tough Android-powered smartphone that combines 3G data speeds with push-to-talk capabilities. It is designed to offer mobile professionals instant communications and mobile broadband data access when it matters most while being able to withstand the toughest environments.
Direct Connect subscribers will get a host of services like audio or text alerts for outgoing calls, instant one-to-one calling and group calling for up to 200 people. Other features include status requests to see if the person you are calling is available and a chirp that lets you know your message was successfully transmitted.
The phone also features a ton of security features for businessmen worried about their company secrets. Features include remote memory wipe, data encryption, PIN and password lock as well as 30 other security features.
Here are the other key ADMIRAL features Sprint pushed on its press release:
- Quickoffice to view and edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, as well as Adobe PDF documents anywhere, anytime.
- 5-megapixel camera with 720p HD video capture, flash and 4x zoom.
- Full suite of Google mobile services, including Google Maps, Google Talk, Gmail, Google Voice and YouTube.
- Android Market for access to more than 250,000 applications, widgets and games.
- Adobe Flash Player to enjoy games, interactive web apps and websites with technical or training videos.
- 3G Mobile Hotspot capability supporting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously.
- Wi-Fi - 802.11 b/g/n.
- 4GB internal memory with option to increase with up to 32GB micro SD card.
- Connected music player with access to all your favorite artists, including live, personalized recommendations for songs and videos, as well as news and event updates from the world of music.