Despite all the ghosts, goblins and ghouls running around the city on Halloween, it’s your depleting bank account that may be the most frightening aspect of the holiday.
Spending money on Halloween costumes, candy and parties can certainly take a toll on your wallet. However, celebrating the spooky holiday in New York City without breaking the bank doesn’t require a witch’s spell, because there are plenty of parties taking place on Friday and Saturday that may be cheaper than you think.
Here’s list of five Halloween costume parties happening over the weekend that are mostly affordable.
1. Stage48 is hosting its second annual Halloween Masquerade Ball. This year’s theme, "A Sexy Venetian Carnival Affair," will take partygoers back in time to the mystical 13th century for just $25. A sponsored open bar will be available from 9 to 10 p.m., and there will be cash prizes for best mask and best couple. There will also be several dancefloors to shake your tail feather on while various world-renowned DJs spin all night long. The masquerade is from 9 p.m. to 4 a.m. on Friday at Stage48 located on 605 West 48th Street.
2. Output in Brooklyn is hosting the Boo Yourself Halloween party featuring special performances by Danny Tenaglia, Danny Krivit, Simon Heyliger and Paul Raffaele. This adults-only costume party kicks off on Saturday at 10 p.m. and costs just $30, if you purchase tickets in advance. Output is located at 74 Wythe Ave.
3. If you’re looking to start your Halloween in a British goth kind of way, then Friday night at The Bell House is the place to be. Popular New York City tribute band The Sons & Heirs will perform classic covers from The Smiths and Morrissey while Masters & Servants performs tributes to Depeche Mode and Dead Letter Office covers R.E.M. hits. Doors open at 7 p.m. and tickets range between $15 and $20. The Bell House is located in Brooklyn on 149 7thStreet.
4. Experience 6,000 square feet packed with vampires, mermaids, werewolves and more at Ainsworth Midtown for the Park House of Sin party on Saturday. General admission tickets start at just $15, and guests can booze it up at the complimentary vodka bar from 9 to 10 p.m. DJ Bobby will be on the turntables. The party starts at 9 p.m. at Ainsworth’s 45 East 33rd Street location.
5. Soak up all the city views of the Empire State Building in your Ghostbusters costume at Gansevoort Park Rooftop's sixth annual costume party on Saturday. There will be an hour-long open vodka bar from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. at The Gansevoort Park Hotel’s scenic rooftop lounge. Doors open at 9 p.m. and tickets start at just $20 for general admission.