ABC dramas have doctors, lawyers, politicians and country musicians covered, but “Quantico” fills their FBI agent void. With a strong female lead, diverse casting and a fast-paced mystery, the show could easily be the network’s next hit. Here’s what you need to know before you tune in to the series premiere of “Quantico”:
1. Flashbacks/Flashforwards – If you love the way “How To Get Away With Murder” handles timelines, “Quantico” might be the show for you. In the future, Alex (Priyanka Chopra) is an FBI agent looking for a terrorist that might be one of her classmates from Quantico. In the past, Alex begins training at Quantico and remembers everything she knows about the trainees to narrow down the list of suspects. There are even more flashbacks as Alex remembers parts of her past she’d rather forget.
2. Not Another Procedural – Although it follows government agents, “Quantico” appears to be much more serialized than other law enforcement dramas. There isn’t much of a case-of-the-week format. Alex is instead trying to connect the past to the present.
3. A Bollywood Star – Priyanka Chopra is a massive star in India. After winning the Miss World pageant in 2000, she went on to start modeling, singing and acting. She has starred in dozens of Bollywood movies, but she wanted to make sure she chose the right show to start her career in American television. “I read 26 scripts, almost every pilot [ABC was] planning, and I made a top few list that I liked. ‘Quantico’ was my first choice,” Chopra told Entertainment Weekly. “Actually I mean, ‘The Muppets’ was my favorite, but I was told Miss Piggy won’t allow anyone else on her show.”
4. No One Is Safe – The “Quantico” premiere introduces a group who looks like they’ll be the main focus of the series. However, at least one of them is gone by the end of the pilot. Not everyone can handle FBI training.
5. Sexy Hookups – Alex might not find love in “Quantico” Season 1. The FBI agent has a sexy scene in a car with a man she met on a plane. Of course, things get complicated when her one night stand turns out to be another FBI trainee, but don't expect him to be the McDreamy to her Meredith Grey. Alex isn’t looking for love. “Alex treats boys the way boys usually treat girls, as dispensable,” Chopra told Entertainment Weekly. “She has no place for them in her life.”
6. Two Airings – If you miss Sunday night’s premiere, you’ll be able to watch an encore of the premiere on Tuesday. The repeat will air at 10 p.m. EDT.
Watch the “Quantico” trailer below:
“Quantico” Season 1 premieres on Sunday at 10 p.m. EDT on ABC.