Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has found himself under scrutiny for his controversial remarks on several occasions. On Tuesday, he reignited his war of words with the United States, saying: "Do not make us your dogs."
Duterte has often been likened to Donald Trump for his contentious statements. Giving a speech at the airport in Manila just before he departed for an official visit to Japan, Duterte said, referring to comments about his human rights record made by U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Philip Goldberg:
"You know I didn't start this fight. They started it...They started it, then came out the issue of human rights, the State Department, Obama, EU. They did this to me. Then they said, we will cut our assistance. So I said to them, 'son of a bitch, do not make us your dogs, as if I am a dog with a leash, and you throw some bread, where I can't reach. The ambassador said something not very nice. You are not supposed to do that because in an election of another country, you should be careful with your mouth."
Here are some top controversial comments made by Duterte:
- "Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now, there is three million drug addicts. I’d be happy to slaughter them."
- "Son of a whore. I will curse you in the forum." - Duterte said about U.S. President Barack Obama.
- "Please don’t order me around. … Or would you rather that I declare martial law?" - Duterte warned Maria Lourdes Sereno, the chief justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines.
- "I was angry because she was raped. That’s one thing. But she was so beautiful. The mayor should have been first." - Duterte said in April about the rape and murder of an Australian missionary by inmates during a prison riot in Davao.
- "We were affected by the traffic. It took us five hours. I asked why, they said it was closed. I asked who is coming. They answered, the pope. I wanted to call him: ‘Pope, son of a whore, go home. Do not visit us again.'"
- "I was separated from my wife. I’m not impotent. What am I supposed to do? Let this hang forever? When I take Viagra, it stands up," the president said, bragging about his reputation as a womanizer.
- "Instead of helping us, the first to hit was the State Department. So you can go to hell, Mr. Obama, you can go to hell."
- "He is a bigot and I am not." - Duterte said when asked to comment about him being compared to Donald Trump.