Just a day after reports about exploding Galaxy Note 7 handsets surfaced, Samsung is now taking matters into its own hands to address the problem before it goes out of hand.
On Thursday, MacRumors learned that Samsung is already in talks with Verizon and its other U.S. business partners to come up with a solution to the exploding devices. The tech site also cited South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency in stating that the famous Apple rival is conducting an investigation and is set to announce its solution either this weekend or the following week.
Though Samsung has yet to come up with a decision, sources say that it’s possible that the South Korea giant would announce a recall of the Galaxy Note 7 handsets.
“The most important thing is the safety of our customers and we don’t want to disappoint our loyal customers,” said an unnamed Samsung official. The official also said that at this point, the problematic battery is believed to account for less than 0.1 percent of the total number of Galaxy Note 7 devices the company has sold, so it is still possible for the company to just change the batteries of the devices.
Meanwhile, Apple Insider reports that though the U.S. version of the Note 7 is different from the international models, there are units with potentially problematic ITM Semiconductor batteries that have reached the American shores, and these units could also catch fire like the reported exploding international units of the Galaxy Note 7.
Just this Wednesday, Samsung administered an initial solution to the problem, and it involves the delay in the shipments of the new batch of Galaxy Note 7 devices, as previously reported.
Aside from the problematic batteries, however, there are also complaints of devices crashing, bootlooping and bricking. In addition, a recent report also claims that some Galaxy Note 7 S-Pen styluses are defective.