Much to everyone's astonishment, an owner of the new Samsung Galaxy S3 in Ireland reported late last month that his brand new phone exploded with an audible bang. The person even posted images of the phone's burnt case on boards.ie, followed by Samsung's official statement saying that it was investigating the matter.
There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question, Samsung said on its blog last month.
Now the company appears to have completed its investigation as it provided an update on the situation saying that it was not the phone but an external energy source that caused the explosion.
The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device and the device was not responsible for the cause of the fire, according to Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), an independent third-party organization that Samsung contracted to determine the exact cause of the damage.
FIUK examined the damaged device with additionally provided devices by exposing them to a series of tests, and based on the pattern of damage, it was concluded that the phone had very likely been placed inside a microwave oven.
The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave, the investigation results stated.
Meanwhile, the complaining device owner, dill02k10, has apparently retracted his original statement, saying that another person is responsible for the phone's damage.
He explained in a forum post:
I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone. It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.
A diehard lover of photography, Kukil Bora started his career as a Web journalist with a Bangalore-based media firm called “SiliconIndia” in 2010. After working there for a...