Rocker Scott Weiland's cause of death has been revealed. A Hennepin County, Minnesota, Medical Examiner announced Friday that the 48-year-old singer died from an accidental overdose of cocaine, Ecstasy and alcohol.
According to TMZ, the toxicology reports also stated that asthma and heart disease were "significant" conditions, and Weiland's longtime struggle with drug abuse played a part in his death.
As previously reported, the former Stone Temple Pilots singer was found dead Dec. 3 on his tour bus in Bloomington, near Minneapolis. Weiland and his band the Wildabouts were scheduled to play a show that night at the Medina Ballroom. At the time, reports surfaced that cocaine was found near where Weiland's body was found. A statement on the singer's Instagram page announced that he died in his sleep.
Shortly after news broke, Weiland's wife Jaime Wachtel denied that the “Plush” singer had been doing drugs prior to his death. Wachtel, who wed Weiland in 2013, said that he had taken a "pact" that he would stay away from drugs. She also told TMZ that she had been traveling with the band and her husband was the "best he [had] ever been." Wachtel stopped going on the road with Weiland and the Wildabouts one week before his death.
Even though Wachtel denied the rocker was abusing drugs again, several sources told the outlet that they were worried about him and feared he had fallen off the wagon.
Weiland had a long and public battle with alcohol and drug addiction, and according to Billboard, his addiction often got him in trouble with the law. In 1995, he was convicted of buying crack cocaine and was arrested for DUI in 2003 and 2007. It was also reported that Weiland checked into rehab in 2007 but never finished the program.