The Los Angeles county District Attorney rejected the case against rapper Sean “Diddy” Combs, TMZ reported Thursday. Combs -- who was accused of assaulting a UCLA coach Sal Alosi with a kettlebell last month -- will not face felony charges.
Last month, Combs was arrested on three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery following the incident at the athletic training complex at UCLA.
Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office, reportedly said Thursday that prosecutors have refused to charge Combs with felony assault and battery. The prosecutors instead referred the case to Los Angeles city attorney's office for misdemeanor filing consideration, Santiago said.
"We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter," Mark Geragos, Combs’ attorney said, according to CNN, adding: "This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with."
However, the city attorney is yet to decide whether it warrants prosecution for a lesser offense like misdemeanor, TMZ reported Thursday.
TMZ broke the story of Combs’ arrest and had reported that the fight started when Combs had gone to speak to Alosi on whose team his son, Justin, plays the defensive back. Combs reportedly went to speak to him because he “was riding Justin, screaming intensely at him," and Combs saw it from the sideline. Combs and his lawyers maintained that he acted in self-defense and did not mean to injure the coach. Combs later posted a $50,000 bail, after which he was released.