In a remarkable reversal of fate, evidence is pouring in to prove to that Dominique Strauss Kahn was probable the hunted one, rather than the hunter.

According to the latest reports, the Guinean hotel maid, who accused the former IMF chief of sexually assaulting in a New York hotel, has probably been a prostitute who milked hefty tips from male guests in return of sexual favors.

According to the New York Post, a source close to the defense investigation said the Sofitel maid would have sex with male guests at the hotel for money.

There is information... of her getting extraordinary tips, the source said.

The new revelation, if proved true, would be a slap in the face of the New York police and a serious humiliation for Cyrus Vance, the State Attorney. The woman's shady past will be a strong piece of evidence for Strauss-Kahn defense to prove that the sexual encounter was consensual in nature and that he hadn’t raped her.

The agility with which the law enforcement moved to establish that Strauss-Kahn was a sex offender and the media's rush to paint him as a serial offender had been conspicuous.

Months after hurriedly taking down Strauss-Kahn, a towering figure in French politics, the State's law enforcement establishment is apparently taking a 'pause'. The logical question is, shouldn’t they have done it initially, and got their facts first before jumping into conclusions.

The 62-year-old French presidential hopeful had been pulled out of a plane and arrested after New York police got a complaint from the hotel maid that he tried to sexually attack her in his hotel suite. The accuser had told police Strauss-Kahn forced her to give him oral sex and puller her clothes off.

When he was arraigned in court, he pleaded not guilty. Strauss-Kahn has also undergone a physical examination sought by the prosecutors to gather evidence against him.

Strauss-Kahn, who was widely expected to run against President Nicolas Sarkozy in the French presidential elections, would have faced a jail term of between 15 and 20 years if the charges against him are proved in court.

Earlier last week, the New York Times had reported that the sexual assault case against Strauss-Kahn was falling apart as the investigators found evidence for lies, prevarication and possible criminal links of his accuser.

On Friday, the disgraced French politician walked out on bail after a court hearing. It was predicted that his bail terms would ease following the Prosecution's diluted stand in the case.

Strauss-Kahn's lawyers met with prosecutors on Thursday to consider whether felony charges could be dismissed. According to sources within the law enforcement, the case was on the verge of collapse. The prosecution was reportedly considering if new questions about the woman's background and recent actions would affect her credibility on the witness stand.

It was revealed that the hotel maid had lied to the investigators and had issues with her asylum application.

The New York Times also reported that the 32-year-old woman had talked to a jailed man a day after the alleged sexual assault took place. She has been recorded talking about how she could benefit out of pressing ahead with the case against Strauss-Kahn. The report said the person she talked to was among many people who had deposited money into her bank account over the last two years. This person had been arrested earlier on charges of possessing marijuana, it was reported.

The Guinean maid had told prosecutors about a previous case of rape and that she had been subjected to genital mutilation, but these things were not included in her application.

Legal experts have said they wouldn’t be surprised if the prosecutors decided to back away in the light of new revelations. Reports say there is considerable amount of forensic evidence against him, but his defense says the encounter was not forcible. They have also said they are privy to information that could gravely undermine the credibility of accuser.