Arnold Schwarzenegger said he’d be back and he wasn’t lying! The action star made an appearance at CinemaCon 2015 in Las Vegas Tuesday, showcasing never-before-seen footage from the upcoming “Terminator” sequel, “Terminator Genisys.”
“I love doing things, not small, but big,” Schwarzenegger, who donned a black leather jacket and shades on stage, told the audience at Caesars Palace. The 67-year-old actor promised a “big, big, box-office” turnout for the action-adventure feature due in theaters July 1. “It’s going to be big ... [Otherwise] I would not have got involved,” he said.
While he did say he could “talk about the movie for hours,” Schwarzenegger did not not spoil everything about the film. He did, however, reveal over 10 minutes of footage. So, what did we learn will be in store for the Terminator, John Connor and Sarah Connor in the fifth installment? Here are seven things you should know:
Warning: Spoilers Ahead!
1. Time-traveling. A futuristic John Connor (Jason Clarke) reveals that if he attempts to save his mother, Sarah Connor (Emilia Clarke), and go back in time, it will put his existence at risk. Because of this, Kyle Reese (Jai Courtney) — who reveals he was born after the so-called Judgment Day — volunteers to take his place. “I know her, John, let me save her,” he says.
2. Cops are Terminators. Well, at least, one is. When Kyle arrives at his time-traveling destination, one authority figure tries to track him down, and when he is shot he is revealed to be a seemingly indestructible Terminator. His weapon of choice: blades for arms.
3. Sarah saves the day. Kyle is saved by Sarah. “Come with me if you want to live,” she tells the time traveler, pulling up next to him in a van as he battles the terminator cop. She later reveals to Kyle that she and the Terminator (Schwarzenegger) have been preparing for his arrival for “a decade.”
4. Sarah Connor’s plan. Sarah will put her life on the line in a much talk about final battle. Her mission: to stop Judgment Day from happening. “If the past can change, so can the future,” she says.
5. It’s not all action. While the footage shown did include explosions and hand-to-hand combat, it had a comical edge. Without spoiling anything, we will say it’s nice to see Schwarzenegger still has comedic timing.
6. Oscar winner cameo. Academy Award winner J.K. Simmons, who plays Detective O'Brien in the film, appeared in Tuesday's presentation footage. His character comes across as frightened but he agrees to team up with Sarah. “We’re here to stop the end of the world,” Sarah tells him.
7. Famous line. Don’t fret, “Terminator” fans, Schwarzenegger does say his famous line in the film. In the footage showcased, his character utters the phrase, “I’ll be back.”
“Terminator Genisys” premieres July 1.