Articles by Attorney General
- Mexican Prison Break Near US Border
September 18 2012 9:25 AM
Over 130 inmates have escaped from a Mexican prison in Peidras, located across the border from Eagle Pass, Texas. Mexican authorities have undertaken a massive manhunt, while U.S. authorities are closely monitoring the border to assist in the recapture of any prisoners that try to cross.
- Report: Equity Firms, Including Bain, Probed For Turning Fees Into Funds To Lower Tax Burdens
September 02 2012 1:50 PM
The country's largest private equity firms are being investigated on suspicion of finagling themselves out of paying taxes by turning fees into fund investments.
- Publishers Agree To Reimburse E-Book Customers $69M In Price-Fixing Scheme
August 31 2012 11:26 AM
Hachette Book Group, Simon & Schuster and HarperCollins Publishers will have to issue reimbursements ranging from 25 cents to $1.32 per book to customers who paid inflated e-book prices between April 1 and May 21, 2010.
- Macon Lawyer Frank Jones, 87, Died Of Leukemia: Attorney Headed Georgia's Fight To Repeal Obamacare
August 31 2012 10:37 AM
Frank Jones, a longtime attorney in Macon, Ga., who was widely recognized throughout Georgia for his effort in trying to appeal the Affordable Care Act, died this week after losing a battle to leukemia. He was 87.
- Obama Scores Point In Voting Rights Battle As Court Rejects Texas Voter ID
August 30 2012 2:54 PM
In a victory for the Obama administration, a federal court has rejected a new law requiring Texans to present photo identification before being allowed to vote.
- Driving For Labor Day? Expect To Pay About A Quarter More Per Gallon Than Last Year
August 30 2012 9:04 AM
Hurricane Isaac's effect on gasoline prices is minimal, but national inventory is below average. And pre-storm worries caused prices to rise anyway.
- Court Voids Texas Redistricting, Finds Biased Intent
August 28 2012 9:19 PM
A federal court ruled Tuesday that Texas' redistricting maps discriminate against black and Hispanic voters, effectively killing the new districts before they could take effect for the November election.
- Immigration Policy's New Sticking Point: Drivers' Licenses For The Undocumented
August 23 2012 7:04 AM
Immigrants who are granted a two-year reprieve known as deferred action still face questions about what benefits they can receive, among them drivers' licenses.
- Zeek Pyramid Scheme: A Million Penny Crimes Set Record For Number Of Victims
August 19 2012 2:50 PM
ZeekRewards and Zeekler have been shut down, but the consequences and fallout is far from over.
- ZeekRewards, Zeekler Users 'In Shock': Inside The Alleged $600M Ponzi Scheme
August 18 2012 5:31 PM
Users of ZeekRewards.com and Zeekler.com are searching for answers -- and their lost money -- after the Securities and Exchange Commission charged the sites' owner, Paul Burks, with an alleged $600 million Ponzi scheme. "I was in shock," said a Zeek member who used the site for five months.
- Top After-Market Nasdaq Movers (Oplink, Sequenom, ABIOMED, Nathan's, Electronic Arts, Marvell, 21Vianet Group, Life Partners Holdings, Car-Mart, ScanSource)
August 17 2012 2:29 AM
The top after-market Nasdaq gainers Thursday were Oplink Communications, Sequenom Inc, ABIOMED Inc, Nathan's Famous Inc and Electronic Arts Inc. The top after-market Nasdaq losers were Marvell Technology Group Ltd, 21Vianet Group Inc, Life Partners Holdings Inc, America's Car-Mart Inc and ScanSource Inc.
- US House Republicans To Sue Attorney General Holder
August 13 2012 10:30 AM
Having failed to get the U.S. Justice Department to press contempt charges against Attorney General Eric Holder, House Republicans are planning to file a civil contempt lawsuit against him.
- Who Is Benjamin Lawsky? Little-Known Regulator Who Savaged Standard Chartered Stokes His - And Andrew Cuomo's - Political Dreams
August 11 2012 1:03 PM
When Benjamin Lawsky formally accused U.K.'s Standard Chartered bank of money laundering and a cover-up linked to Iranian financial institutions, the head of New York's newly formed Department of Financial Services was hardly described in glowing terms in the press. He was termed a rogue, an egomaniac and worse by unnamed scorned colleagues in New York and Washington. But in describing his ambitions, what these reports failed to take into account was the depth of his and Governor Andrew C...
- New York AG Moves Where Feds Don't To Shine Light On Dark Money Groups
August 09 2012 3:49 PM
Unlike the FEC, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is making moves to uncover the financial sources of several dark money groups.
- Taxes, Taxes, Taxes: Latest Crossroads GPS Blitz Hits Dems [VIDEO]
August 08 2012 1:24 PM
The latest Crossroads ad buy seeks to link several vulnerable Democrats in tough Senate races to tax increases. Spots set to run in Virginia, Missouri, Montana, North Dakota and Nevada portray Democrats as proponents of higher taxes and needlessly expanded government.
- Pfizer Settles Government Bribery Complaints
August 07 2012 2:59 PM
Among the charges: Pfizer's China subsidiary was accused of offering a program where doctors could claim cell phones and other goodies based on how many prescriptions they doled out of the company's products.
- Is President Obama Racist? New Super PAC Vows To Expose Pattern of 'Black Racism'
August 04 2012 1:24 PM
A new super PAC called FightBigotry.com will "connect the dots to explain the one political vulnerability of President Obama that no one else has the stomach to bring up."
- Pakistan Sacks Top Law Officer For Performing Menial Tasks At Sikh Temples
August 03 2012 2:43 PM
Khan said he performed those humble duties as a goodwill gesture and to promote better relations between faiths.
- Marilyn Monroe Mystery: FBI Claims To Have Lost File On Star, Who Died 50 Years Ago This Week
August 01 2012 7:42 PM
The FBI kept tabs on Monroe under the file "Foreign Intelligence." J. Edgar Hoover was worried she had taken up with communists while other conspiracies suggest the Kennedy brothers had her killed. Theories have only heated up since the FBI has delayed releasing information to the Associated Press.
- Pre-Market Movers (Arkansas, Accretive Health, Nokia, Liquidity Services, General Mills, Dendreon, OCZ Tech, Nova Measuring, Seagate)
July 31 2012 7:04 AM
Accretive Health, Arkansas Best Corp, Nokia Corp, Liquidity Services, General Mills, Dendreon Corp, OCZ Technology Group, Nova Measuring Instruments and Seagate Technology are among the companies whose shares are moving in premarket trading Tuesday.