- Exchange operator CME Group Inc. (Nasdaq:CME) is opening a hot new table in the global financial casino, pushed to set up a derivatives exchange in London by clients who can't be bothered to comply with U.S. law.
- One of the top stories in the financial markets in 2012 has to be the stagnation in the price of gold at around $1600 an ounce, which is down approximately 17% from its peak at $1920.30. Those bullish on the yellow metal have been disappointed in gold's performance while those bearish on the shiny metal have reveled in its stagnation, saying that gold's status as a safe haven is over.
- While December gold prices have remained within close proximity to last week's highs, the gold market could be facing some cross currents from Asia, where the lack of fresh easing action has dampened sentiment periodically. Surprisingly the gold market has managed to shake off negative Chinese gold demand news at the end of last week and that is probably the result of lingering Chinese easing hopes and increased talk of gold derivative investment interest in China going forward.
- Silver prices have started out marginally higher than last week's close, but the silver trade might have been somewhat limited by news of a rather sharp increase in US silver exchange stocks. In fact, Comex Silver Stocks at the end of last week were pegged at 140.677 million ounces for a single day gain of 2,185,833 ounces! Comex Silver stocks are now at their highest levels in the past 10 days.
- In 1999, 4 million Americans were using personal trainers, but now the number hovers around 6.5 million.
- U.S. stock index futures point to a slightly higher open Monday as investors maintained a watchful mode waiting for decisions from meetings between Greek and European leaders this week to discuss reform measures needed to tackle the economic crisis in Greece.
- Jordan said Sunday that four rockets fired from neighboring Syria fell inside its northern border, wounding a young girl and sparking a letter of protest.
- South African President Jacob Zuma has declared a week of national mourning for the striking miners killed in violence at a platinum mine Thursday, as the mine operator delivered an ultimatum for the strikers' return to work.
- Patrick Ricard, who built Pernod Ricard SA (Paris: RI) into the second-largest alcohol beverage company in the world, died Friday, the company said.
- The British parliament criticized former Barclays Plc (London: BARC) CEO Bob Diamond in a report released Saturday, saying that he failed to fully disclose the bank?s illegal practices during testimony on the LIBOR scandal.
VIDEO Arsenal 0-0 Sunderland: Highlights, Match Report; Giroud Misses Late Chance to Hand Gunners VictoryWatch highlights and read a full account from the opening day of the Premier League season as Arsenal faced Sunderland at the Emirates.
- Vanessa Bryant is saying that her words were taken out of context after an interview with "New York Magazine" caused controversy
- Vitriol continues to be spewed in the case of Julian Assange, who is still stuck in the UK Ecuadorian embassy.
- They see the economic crisis as a “wake up call” for Britain to rediscover its tradition of hard work.
- European investors looking to bet on risky derivatives will be able to use gold to back their trades, one of the Continent's major exchanges said Friday, a development that could both make the yellow precious metal a more valuable asset and foster the growth of derivative trading volume.
Arsenal Transfer Rumours: Song Exit Imminent With Sahin, Biglia as Replacements? Mirallas to Replace RVP?For the second summer in succession, Arsenal could be set for a hectic climax to the transfer window.
- Despite residual Press coverage of sagging quarterly demand for gold overnight, gold prices have generally retained a positive tilt on the charts into the last trading session of the week. In addition to supportive talk from the German leader, which in turn boosted hopes for the situation in the Euro zone, gold probably continues to draft some support from news that China National Gold might be considering a substantial stake in the world's largest gold producer.
- Unlike gold, September silver did manage a fresh higher high overnight, and have reached the highest level since August 10th. In addition to bullish press coverage overnight from an analyst and from a key UK banking concern, the silver market is probably drafting periodic support from the ongoing strength in gold and platinum prices. Silver is also seeing some lift from a general risk on vibe this week and certainly silver is also deriving support from the current favorable flow of headlines fro...