“The Vampire Diaries” isn’t over yet. While Season 8 will be the last, it seems the writers have plenty of drama planned for the vampires of Mystic Falls. Fans should prepare themselves for all the trouble that’s coming when the drama premieres on The CW Friday.
1. Stefan’s Top Priority — Stefan (Paul Wesley) will be searching for Damon (Ian Somerhalder), and he’ll very quickly determine that his brother is possessed by something. As previously reported, he’ll do everything to save his brother.
2. Caroline’s Balancing Act — The mother of two will be balancing co-parenting, a new reporting job and her rekindled romance with Stefan. She’ll get a nanny, Seline (Kristen Gutoskie), to help her fulfill her responsibilities, but Caroline (Candice King) might have a little trouble letting go of control.
3. Steroline — Stefan and Caroline will obviously have some relationship drama, but even Paul Wesley isn’t sure if they’ll end up together. “Definitely not intact the entire time, but perhaps towards the end — although that I can’t even surmise, because I don’t have any inclination as to what the finale will be,” he teased to E! Online.
4. A Death — It wouldn’t be “Vampire Diaries” without a shocking death. Kat Graham, who plays Bonnie, teased a loss in August. “Not in the season premiere — but, you know, midway through, someone’s kickin’ the bucket,” she told the Hollywood Reporter.
5. Alaric’s New Job — Alaric (Matt Davis) is running the Armory now. However, as seen in the behind-the-scenes video below, he’ll have some concerns about that.
6. Episode Titles — The first episode is titled “Hello, Brother,” and all of the episode titles will sound familiar to fans. They’re quotes from early seasons of the show.
7. Small Town Gatherings — For the final season, “The Vampire Diaries” will revisit some memorable events. “We have the carnival that was in the top of Season 2, which is a really big episode for us when Caroline first became a vampire. [That] makes a reappearance,” showrunner Julie Plec told Entertainment Weekly. “Founder’s Day will make a reappearance and Miss Mystic Falls will make a reappearance, so there’s a lot of those great Season 1 events that we’re able to revisit in small ways.”
8. Returning Characters — It’s the final season, and that means some familiar faces will return. First up is Tyler (Michael Trevino), who will confront Damon in episode 3.
9. Elena — Not everyone has signed on to return yet. Fans want Elena (Nina Dobrev) to come back, but it is not clear if it will happen. Though CW President Mark Pedowitz confirmed that the network had been in talks with Dobrev, no deal has been announced.
“The Vampire Diaries” Season 8 premieres Friday, Oct. 21 at 8 p.m. EDT on The CW.