Update 10:04 a.m. EDT:

FBI also gives "all clear" at Navy Yard.  

Update 10:00 a.m. EDT:

Security presence beginning to dwindle as authorities call active shooter report a false alarm. 

Update 9:55 a.m. EDT:

Pennsylvania Avenue, outside the White House, now open again. 

Update 9:53 a.m. EDT:

Metropolitan police report "all clear" at Navy Yard, according to CNN.  

Update 9:46 a.m. EDT:

Officers find maintenance worker on roof after storming Department of Transportation building. No threat.

Update 9:44 a.m. EDT:

Police raid new building inside yard, according to multiple media reports. 

Update 9:40 a.m. EDT:

Some Police vehicles begin leaving the scene without sirens on. Homeland Security vehicles are remaining for now.  

Update 9:35 a.m. EDT:

Metropolitan Police Department now saying that no shots were ever fired. Police believe loud noises may have frightened someone.  

Update 9:32 a.m. EDT:

Pennsylvania Avenue, outside the White House, remains closed. 

Update 9:27 a.m. EDT:

No terrorist threat was made against the Navy Yard. 

Update 9:22 a.m. EDT:

Building 197, the scene of the 2013 mass shooting is still on lockdown. The U.S. Navy says "no incident can be confirmed as of yet."

Update 9:14 a.m. EDT:

The Pentagon will not raise its security threat level: official. 

Update 9:09 a.m. EDT: 

Officials have said that no gunman has been found in the buildings or area where the shooting was reported. Police authorities will now expand their search.

Original Story:

Police in Washington, D.C. were reacting Thursday to reports of an active shooter in the capital's Navy yard, according to a Washington Post report. The call to police came in at 7:40 a.m. Roads around the area have been closed amid a heavy police presence. 

The Fox News television affiliate in Washington, FOX5, reported a shooting at the facility shortly after 7:30 a.m., citing a number of sources. According to CNN, authorities are searching the area building by building and room by room in the area where the shooting was reported. The entire yard contains two million sq.ft of office space. 

Authorities have been on edge in the lead up to the Fourth of July holiday after a general terror threat was made earlier this week. 

The yard was the scene of a shooting in September 2013 when a lone gunman entered the instalation before killing 12 and injuring three others during a shooting spree. Thursdays' shooting is reported to be in building 197, the same building as the 2013 incident. 

The U.S. Navy tweeted that no further details were known and that the investigation was ongoing. A U.S. Navy spokesperson confirmed to IBTimes during a phone call that the yard is on lockdown and shelters are in place.