Update 12: 45 p.m. EDT: The Houston Police Department gave a terse answer when asked if Ling’s tweets were being investigated. “We’re aware of it and we’ve gotten multiple calls,” Victor Sentries, public affairs spokesman, told International Business Times in a phone interview. “We take any lead and will investigate it to check on its credibility.” He added: “This is currently an ongoing investigation.”
19-year-old Kendra Childs was fatally shot Tuesday during a drive by shooting in Houston, Texas. It's unknown who fired the bullet, but there are plenty of verified facts about Childs. To find out more about the mother-of-one, continue reading below:
1. She died a day before her birthday. Childs was shot hours before she was going to turn 20 years old. Before her death, she documented her birthday celebrations with her friends on Twitter. “I turn 20 tomorrow,” she wrote Tuesday, hours before five bullets were fired into her second story apartment. She shared another video of herself dancing with her friends. “It’s our birthday ya’ll mind if we wild out,” Childs wrote.
2. Childs loved her daughter. Pinned to the tip of her Twitter account are videos of her kissing and snuggling her 2-year-old daughter. “Mommy will always be there,” she captioned the compilation video. In the background, Tiffany Evans’ song “I’ll Be There” plays.
3. Police don’t know why she was killed. “She lit up the room and was one of a kind. She would do anything for her daughter,” Angel Woodward, a cousin of Childs’, told the Houston Chronicle. Woodword described the victim as “amazing.”
4. Her death went viral on social media. The trend #ripkendra was one of the top topics Wednesday, with more than 70,000 mentions. Some people accused a “jealous” ex-girlfriend of Childs’ boyfriend as being responsible for her death.
5. The rumor about Childs’ alleged killer started on Facebook when a friend suggested the suspect was an ex-girlfriend of Childs’ boyfriend. “How do you kill somebody this pretty behind a n----? You shot her dead in her head. D--- is not that serious for you to be sitting behind bars, because that n---- not gone write you or nothing,” Quotaa Taylor wrote on Facebook Tuesday night. “Karma is a b---- and best believe you gone get yours! And I'm pray for your baby daddy, because he was the one who found you man I can only imagine the pain and thoughts running [through] his head right now. She was only 19. She ain't even get to experience life yet, man. Kendra was all about her daughter and it's sad she had to leave her daughter in this cruel world ‘cause it took her mama.” The post was shared more than 14,000 times.
I know your tired of the usual _ pic.twitter.com/ONopW2QBes
— 9/14_ (@__TheKendoll) September 13, 2016
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella