Blizzard Entertainment’s 2004 massively multiplayer online game (MMO) “World of Warcraft” has amassed 100 million different accounts, including trial accounts, since the game’s release date in November 2004, nearly a decade ago.
Blizzard made the announcement on its “WoW” blog yesterday. The developer also provided a detailed infographic about the game, revealing some pretty cool facts about the popular MMO.
-“World of Warcraft” is played in 244 countries and territories, including Antarctica, the Bahamas and Christmas Island.
- 52% of players side with the Alliance, while 47% choose the Horde. 1% remain neutral.
- Nine million guilds have been created.
- There are over 500 million characters in “World of Warcraft.”
- The in-game text of “World of Warcraft” is around 6 million words, the equivalent of 12 copies of “Lord of the Rings.”
- 2.8 million trades take place daily in the Auction House, which is twice as many transactions that took place on Cyber Monday on eBay in 2009.
- “World of Warcraft’s” official YouTube channel has amassed over 87 million views.
- “World of Warcraft” is googled 50 million times per year.
- “WoW’s” Twitter account has 408,000 followers.
Are you a “World of Warcraft” fan? Leave a comment below.