Zachary Quinto Rumors: Spock Quitting 'Star Trek?' 'American Horror Story' Actor Tells Fans To 'Simmer Down'

Zachary Quinto
Zachary Quinto Reuters

“Star Trek” actor Zachary Quinto addressed rumors that he’s quitting his Spock character in the reboot of the sci-fi franchise, telling Twitter followers that speculation that he wants to leave the films is untrue.

Rumors that Quinto, 35, would no longer be playing Spock after the second “Star Trek” reboot is released stemmed from an interview he gave Entertainment Weekly last week, where the actor said he plans to go in a “different direction” with his career.

“It’s like an era of association with certain roles – a specific part like Spock, or a kind of part, like Sylar [from ‘Heroes’] — is coming to an end,” Quinto told the Entertainment Weekly’s website.

Rumors started flying that Quinto was set to leave “Star Trek” until the actor cleared up the confusion to his more than 575,000 Twitter followers over the weekend.

On Sunday, Quinto wrote on his Twitter page, “simmer down kids. rumors are rumors for a reason. quotes out of context. let's let the second movie come out before we talk about a third...”

The Entertainment Weekly interview was mainly about Quinto’s role on “American Horror Story,” where he plays psychologist and serial killer Dr. Oliver Thredson.

The role was not a long departure from Quinto’s stint as serial killer Sylar, although his “American Horror Story” character doesn’t have superpowers.

In discussing his “American Horror Story” role, Quinto said he “was drawn to the fact that he’s not a super-powered serial killer who’s telekinetically slicing people’s heads open.

“I think sometimes the things we resist in our own creative journey can be the most exciting to revisit. It was an opportunity to revisit similar territory in a different context, in a different way,” he added.

Quinto said he is looking at branching into different acting roles, which led to the quote that sparked the rumors.

“I think it’s safe to say this will be the last serial killer I’ll be playing for the foreseeable future.”

At least one follower of Quinto’s on Twitter didn’t think he was talking about leaving “Star Trek.”

“Honestly, I just read your comment as saying that the era of being limited by typecasting is ending (and I agree, BTW,)” wrote Cully Hamner.

The second installment in the “Star Trek” reboot is set to his theaters next summer. You can check out pictures of Quinto as Spock in the yet to be released second film here.

Share this article