A toddler in Waldorf, Maryland, was in critical condition after she was allegedly abused by her father.

In a press release, the Charles County Sheriff's Office said officers responded to a home around 2 a.m. on Monday after receiving a call from a man stating that his toddler daughter was having trouble breathing. The responding officers rushed the 13-month-old girl to the University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center for treatment after finding her unresponsive at the home.

As the investigators were gathering information at the hospital, the toddler’s father, identified as 29-year-old Robert Earl McKay III, assaulted one of them. Meanwhile, the toddler was transported to Children’s National Medical Center in Washington D.C, in a critical condition.

“Upon examination and other medical testing, detectives learned the toddler sustained trauma consistent with child abuse,” the press release stated.

While conducting a search at McKay’s residence, the investigators found a “regulated firearm which he is prohibited from possessing due to a previous felony conviction.”

McKay was arrested and charged with assaulting the investigator at the hospital. He was held at a detention center.

“Detectives are obtaining additional charges for McKay to include attempted murder, child abuse, first-degree assault, and second-degree assault,” the press release said.

Investigation into the incident was ongoing and investigators said the mother of the toddler was at work “when the 911 call came in.” No other children resided at the home.

The Sheriff’s office has said, “Anyone with additional information is asked to call Detective A. Worley at (301) 609- 6518.”

The incident comes less than a month after a Washington man was arrested after his girlfriend’s infant daughter was found with multiple injuries. The infant was found with “significant bruising to her face” by the police officers following which she was taken into protective custody. A medical examination revealed that the infant had multiple broken bones all over her body. Following an investigation, her mother’s boyfriend, identified as 20-year-old Tre'vere Brown, 20, was arrested.

Representational image of a handcuff. Pixabay