Aaron Hernandez
Aaron Hernandez, former player for the NFL's New England Patriots football team, attends a pre-trial hearing at the Bristol County Superior Court in Fall River, Mass., Oct. 9, 2013, in connection with the death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd in June. Reuters/Brian Snyder

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end, was involved in an altercation with another inmate at the Bristol County House Of Correction in North Dartmouth, Mass., on Tuesday, which could lead to more charges against the former football player, Associated Press reported.

Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson reportedly confirmed the altercation saying that an investigation is underway. According to a TMZ report, Hernandez, who is usually segregated from the general prison population, was walking in an isolated hallway when he came in contact with the other inmate.

It is not clear how both Hernandez and the other inmate, who had been reportedly harassing Hernandez for some time, came to be in the hallway, which is reserved for just one inmate at a time.

Hodgson reportedly said that neither Hernandez nor the other inmate suffered significant injuries. However, Hernandez could face additional criminal charges as a result of the investigation, and that the time he's allowed out of his cell could be reduced from three hours to one hour a day, Hodgson told WJAR.

Prison officials had reportedly kept Hernandez in solitary confinement out of concern that he might be targeted by other inmates due to his celebrity status.

Last year, The Washington Post described Hernandez's "new life in isolation" as "a 10-foot-by-7-foot cell adorned only with a bunk bed frame, a stainless steel sink-toilet combination, and a metal desk with an attached stool."

The 24-year-old footballer has been facing murder charges stemming from the 2013 shooting death of semi-pro football player, Odin Lloyd, in North Attleboro, Mass. The Boston man was reportedly dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancée. Hernandez has also been linked to an unsolved 2012 drive-by double homicide in Boston.