People crossed a car-free, snow-covered Seventh Avenue in midtown Manhattan early on Jan. 27, 2015. Reuters/Mike Segar

A travel ban affecting roads in New York City and upstate New York was lifted Tuesday morning as residents tried to dig out after the blizzard that hit the Northeast with as much as 1 ½ feet of snow. However, subway service remained suspended in the Big Apple, the first time such an action has been taken because of snow. City sanitation employees “worked all night to keep NYC roads clear,” according to the New York City Sanitation Department’s Twitter page. Subways in Boston will be closed all day Tuesday, according to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

New Jersey, another state slammed by the winter storm dubbed Juno, had its travel ban lifted as well, according to Gov. Chris Christie. Buses in the southern portion of the state were running on modified service, while buses in northern New Jersey and the Hudson-Bergen light rail were both expected to be operating by 11 a.m., “if not sooner,” according to an update from Christie posted on Twitter. Newark light rail is already operating, while River Line light rail was scheduled to be up and running by 8 a.m. EST Tuesday, according to the governor.

In addition to New York City subways, buses and bridges and tunnels in the city remained closed as of early Tuesday morning. It’s unclear whether New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo will give an update about complete or partial service resuming during a news conference scheduled for 8 a.m., but the Metropolitan Transit Authority indicated on its website that subway and bus service “will remain suspended for the foreseeable future.” The Staten Island Ferry, which connects the borough to Lower Manhattan, was operational on Tuesday morning, however.

Snow continued to fall in the area on Tuesday, with Long Island bearing the brunt of Juno. The Long Island city of Islip recorded 18 inches of snow, the highest snow total in the New York metropolitan area. The Long Island Rail Road was still closed for service as of early Tuesday a.m.