KEY POINTS

  • Saul "Canelo" Alvarez sends a blunt message to all his challengers
  • Alvarez says Jermall Charlo can't knock him out
  • The Mexican boxing superstar is planning to unify all the belts in the middleweight division

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez has grown tired of hearing his challengers vowing to knock him out.

After his disappointing loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. back in 2013, Alvarez has worked his way up to become a multi-division world champion. He successfully claimed the WBO light heavyweight title by stopping Sergey Kovalev last year. However, some in the middleweight division still think they can put an end to his impressive winning streak, including WBC middleweight champ Jermall Charlo.

In a recent interview with Little Giant Boxing, Alvarez was asked about his thoughts on Charlo claiming he could knock him out when they finally meet inside the ring. For Alvarez, Charlo is “a great fighter,” but there’s no way he, or any of his past and future opponents, could put him to sleep.

“No,” Alvarez replied when asked if Charlo can KO him. “We will see if that’s true, they all say the same thing. Charlo is a great fighter and is gonna be a big fight in the future if God wants it to happen.”

“Sergiy Derevyanchenko is a fighter with a style that favors Jermall Charlo,” he pointed out. “He comes forward and Charlo had a great performance. Jermall Charlo is a great fighter without a doubt.”

Alvarez added that everything Charlo has said is not new to him at all. According to the Mexican boxing superstar, most of his past rivals have always threatened him heading into fight, only to come up with an excuse after he beat them.

“My opponents always say ‘I’m your biggest challenge’,” the multi-weight class champion said. “I beat them and then they say ‘but…’ That’s how it is. In the end, I’m doing what I’m supposed to do, which is fighting the best. The champions, what else can I do right?”

The 30-year-old is back in the middleweight division and is set to face Callum Smith on Saturday for the vacant WBC and WBA titles. Ahead of the match, Alvarez revealed that his team is planning to “unify all the belts” at 168-pound.

“That is our plan, short term [at] 168, [to] unify all the belts,” Alvarez recently told iFL TV. “So, it’s short term yes, and next year that what we will be working on.”

As for a possible match against Charlo, Alvarez confirmed that he is open to fighting the undefeated middleweight champ as well as David Benavidez in the near future.

Canelo Alvarez Canelo Alvarez prepares for his WBO light heavyweight title fight against Sergey Kovalev at MGM Grand Garden on November 2, 2019 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Alvarez won the title by an 11th-round knockout. Photo: Steve Marcus/Getty Images