Conor McGregor is set to return to mixed martial arts action and the likely opponent is UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, according to the former's manager Audie Attar.

McGregor faced potential jail time for his actions in the build-up to UFC 223 in April which saw him hurl a dolly at a bus occupied by fighters. However, the Irishman avoided any serious punishment after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct at a New York City courthouse on Thursday.

He will now be cleared of all felony charges and will have to do five days of community service, pay for the damage to the bus, as well as have anger management treatment, but pending that, he is free to resume his fighting career.

"I just want to say I'm thankful to the DA [District Attorney] and the judge for allowing me to move forward," McGregor said afterward. "I want to say to my friends, my family, my fans: thank you for the support."

ESPN's Ariel Helwani spoke to Attar soon after, who revealed that McGregor plans on fighting in 2018 and that Nurmagomedov, who was on the bus that was attacked, looks to be the opponent as of now.

"I think that's [Nurmagomedov] the likely opponent at this point," Attar said. "I think if something changes, at that point of time, that will become known but at this point of time, I think that's the likely opponent. We'll see how negotiations go."

McGregor has not competed under the UFC's banner since winning the lightweight title at UFC 205 in November 2016. He was stripped of the belt earlier this year due to inactivity and a highly-anticipated return against heated rival Nurmagomedov to challenge for the title he never lost would undoubtedly be one of the biggest UFC fights ever.

There are multiple rumors as to when it will take place. UFC 229 in Las Vegas on Oct. 6 is a date that is heavily reported while there is also an underlying belief that the fight could headline UFC 230 in Madison Square Garden, New York, that will take place on Nov. 3.

"Don't know [a date] right now," Attar explained. "Now that this is behind us, we got to get back to serious negotiations and get that across the line and then the date will be known."

"I've heard October, I've heard November, I've heard December. The reality of it is, is none of them are real until the deal is finalized," he stated, adding that it is only rumors that McGregor won't be able to fight in New York again.

Helwani would later tweet that October was the ideal date the McGregor team preferred.

Nurmagomedov meanwhile, is ready to punish McGregor and is hoping to face the Crumlin native at UFC 230 where they can finally clash in a rivalry that is two years in the making.

"Glad that he stayed out of jail, because I wouldn’t be able to punish him in that case," Nurmagomedov said in a statement to MMA Junkie. "Now he needs to bring his Irish team to (Madison Square Garden) in November and finish our business."