Dallas Police Car
A police car is pictured outside the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Dallas police are in a standoff with a suspect who attacked their department headquarters early Saturday. Reuters/Jeff Mitchell

This is a developing story.

Update, 9:55 a.m. EDT: A suspect in the shootout at Dallas Police Department headquarters early Saturday was shot, and he is believed to be dead, Police Chief David Brown said, according to NBC News.

Update, 8:50 a.m. EDT: With negotiations between authorities and a suspect in the shootout at Dallas Police Department headquarters early Saturday still under way, the law-enforcement agency posted on Twitter this photograph apparently showing damage caused by an explosive device planted outside its HQ:

Original Article Appears Below

Officers are in a standoff with a suspect after an attack by one or more gunmen armed with automatic weapons at the Dallas Police Department’s headquarters early Saturday, according to media reports. A witness cited by the Associated Press said a man fled the scene in what was described as an armored van.

At the time of writing, the whereabouts of any other suspects is unknown.

The Dallas Police Department indicated through its Twitter account that the initial shooting at its headquarters was reported at 12:27 a.m. local time (1:27 EDT). The attack triggered a massive pursuit involving dozens of police vehicles that resulted in a standoff on a highway, the New York Daily News reported.

No casualties have been reported so far.

Following the attack, police found suspicious bags near the headquarters building, at least one of which contained a pipe bomb that later exploded. This prompted evacuations from areas around the police headquarters, CNN reported.

Officers reportedly chased a suspect to a Jack in the Box restaurant on the Interstate 45 service road in Hutchins, where the chase ended with more gunfire. SWAT officers are reportedly negotiating with the suspect, who has threatened to blow them up, Dallas Police Chief David Brown said.

The suspect identified himself as James Boulware, 50, according to the Dallas Morning News. Boulware has a history of family violence and has blamed authorities for his losing custody of his son, the Morning News reported. However, authorities said they have not yet confirmed the man’s identity.