KEY POINTS

  • Former UFC champ Junior dos Santos has an array of highlight-worthy KO wins
  • Dos Santos says Mike Tyson cost him one UFC fight cash bonus
  • "Cigano" is now eyeing to switch to boxing

A former UFC champion has told another interesting Mike Tyson story.

The UFC has done quite a tremendous job pushing their fighters to always put on a show every time they step inside the Octagon by handing out performance bonuses every event.

With an array of highlight-worthy knockout finishes, ex-UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos had been rewarded with such bonuses throughout his entire stint with the famed MMA promotion.

However, the Brazilian claimed that he was denied of receiving one post-fight bonus in 2013 because of boxing legend Mike Tyson.

As bold as it sounds, Dos Santos recently recalled how sure he was that his famous spinning wheel kick KO victory over Mark Hunt deserved both the “ Fight of the Night” and “Knockout of the Night” bonuses at UFC 160.

However, “Cigano” stressed that Tyson, who was in attendance that night, questioned why UFC president Dana White would reward both fight bonuses to only one fighter.

The said comment, per dos Santos, prompted White to give the other $50,000 cash bonus to someone else.

"Back in the day, Mike Tyson took from me $50,000 because of Dana White,” Dos Santos told SunSport. "When I fought Mark Hunt I had two Bonuses of the Night–Best Fight of the Night, and Best Knockout of the Night.”

"And Mike Tyson was there watching the fight and at the press conference after the fights, Dana White said, 'Junior Dos Santos has won two bonuses of the night. Best Fight of the Night and Best Knockout of the Night,’” he continued. “But I was asking Mike Tyson and he told me to give the Knockout of the Night to somebody else! He said, 'Why give two bonuses to just one guy?' So he took away from me $50,000. So he owes me $50,000!”

For dos Santos, Tyson “deprived” him of getting what was rightfully his at the time.

“[Tyson] He deprived me of that,” the 37-year-old stated. “But it was normal back then to have two bonuses on the night and sometimes some guys got three!"

Dos Santos is widely regarded as one of the best heavyweight fighters in the history of the UFC.

He won the UFC heavyweight title by beating Caine Velasquez in 2011 and went to defend his title against Frank Mir.

After a four-fight losing streak, Dos Santos parted ways with the UFC and is now considering a career in boxing.

Junior dos Santos Junior dos Santos could take one step closer to getting another title shot with a win over Tai Tuivasa. In this picture, Dos Santos celebrates after defeating Stipe Miocic (not pictured) by unanimous decision in their heavyweight bout during the UFC Fight Night event at the at U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona, Dec. 13, 2014. Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images