Man from Stoke-on-Trent was jailed for 11 years and two months for raping an intoxicated and unconscious woman, filming it and then sending it to her friends on Snapchat. This image shows the Snapchat logo on the home screen of an iPhone in San Anselmo, California, May 2, 2018. Justin Sullivan/Getty Images

A rapist has been jailed for 11 years for sharing a video of his sexual attack on Snapchat with the victim’s friends.

Aziz Khan pleaded guilty to rape and disclosing private sexual photographs and films with intent to cause distress Tuesday. The 22-year-old from Stoke-on-Trent, in England, was jailed for 11 years and two months and has his name put in the sex offenders register for life.

Khan raped his victim in April 2017 and recorded the attack on social media sharing app Snapchat. He then sent the 10-second clip to the victim’s friends and boasted about it. He raped the victim at his parents’ house in Heron Cross after a night out.

The man appeared at the Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court on Thursday where the court was informed of his attack and the video. He pleaded guilty to both the charges.

“This is a very serious offense and Khan will serve a prison sentence for what he has done. I want to commend the victim for having the courage to come forward and have the confidence in us to bring this case before the courts. I also want to thank her family and friends for their support,” Detective Constable Ann Blairs said.

The court was informed that Khan attacked the woman after she was separated from her friends on a night out in Newcastle. He was described as someone with “sex on his mind” and “being a bit weird around women.” He raped the woman while she was unconscious and used his own phone to record the assault before showing off his “sexual conquest.”

Calling him the “ultimate opportunist,” prosecutor Robert Price said, “He took advantage of the victim who was vulnerable and incapable through drink. She was completely intoxicated. She had no idea where she was, who she was with or what she was doing. She was not capable of making decisions or consenting to any form of sexual activity.”

Khan raped her and in the video the woman can be seen unconscious and immobile. She did not have any recollection of the incident but when she was informed of the video, she told her parents and the police about it. In her statement to the court, she said she was affected by what happened and had to drop out of her university course.

According to Stoke-on-Trent Live, a local news website, Khan was suspended from Staffordshire University for sending explicit texts last year. Though he doesn’t have any prior criminal convictions, he was the subject of an investigation conducted by his university. The investigation began after the university received complaints of sexual indecency toward a fellow student.

After the decision of the court, a Staffordshire University spokesperson said the university took the conduct and the safety of the students very seriously and had “robust procedures in place to investigate and take the necessary action” against the students who break or refuse to follow the rules.

“We can confirm that Khan, who was studying on a Foundation year, had previously been suspended from university for inappropriate behavior. He failed to complete his first year qualifications and was withdrawn from his course in June 2018,” the spokesperson said.

After sentencing Khan, judge David Fletcher also made him the subject of an indefinite restraining order that would prevent him from having any contact with the victim or her family.