A man in India has been arrested for allegedly setting his wife and 8-month-old son on fire after accusing the woman of not taking care of the infant.

The victims, identified as 30-year-old Bhavna Marwadi and her 8-month-old baby, were from a village in the western state of Gujarat. They were hospitalized with burns after the brutal attack that happened Sunday evening. The woman's husband, 32-year-old Naresh Marwadi, was arrested based on the victim's complaint, reported The Times of India.

The couple reportedly had an argument Sunday evening after Naresh accused his wife of not taking care of the child properly. After the heated argument, Bhavna went into the kitchen and started to cook, while holding the baby. Naresh followed her into the kitchen and reportedly poured kerosene on his wife, who had the infant in her arms and set her ablaze, Latestly reported.

Both the mother and child were soon engulfed in the fire and screamed for help. Hearing the screams, a neighbor rushed to their home and helped to put out the fire. The neighbor also suffered minor burns in the incident. Meanwhile, Naresh managed to rescue the infant from Bhavna's hand, who was already engulfed in flames.

According to reports, Bhavna suffered serious burn injuries while the infant had minor burns. Both the victims are now in stable condition, the police said.

In her criminal complaint, Bhavna accused her husband of attempting to kill her and their son. The couple has been married for four years, the police said.

Earlier this week, a 29-year-old man from the Indian state of Telangana was arrested for setting his in-laws on fire after his estranged wife left him. The suspect identified as Sai Krishna barged into the victims' house and doused the couple with gasoline before setting them ablaze, the police said. The victims identified as 54-year-old T. Sagar Rao and his 50-year-old wife T. Rama suffered severe burn injuries. After the incident, Krishna fled the scene and later went to a private hospital for treating minor burn injuries he suffered. The police took him into custody after he was released from the hospital.

Representation. Fire. Pixabay