KEY POINTS

  • Ole Gunnar Solskjaer proposed the sale of Daniel James to fund another bid for Jadon Sancho, a report said
  • Manchester United execs are not convinced by Solskjaer's plan
  • Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc insisted that Sancho will stay with the club

Manchester United executives are not keen on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's proposal to sell Daniel James to fund a move for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho, a report said.

The long courtship between United and Sancho is nearing its end. But ESPN reported, citing unnamed sources, that Red Devils boss Solskjaer is still hoping to bring in the Dortmund star before the transfer window expires on Oct. 5.

According to the ESPN report, the Norwegian manager has suggested the potential £25 million ($32 million) sale of James in order to raise funds for a last-minute bid for Sancho. However, the English club's hierarchy is not convinced by Solskjaer’s plan and is blocking the sale of the 22-year-old winger. International Business Times could not independently verify the information.

Despite being turned down consistently by the German side this summer, Solskjaer reportedly remains positive that player sales could put United close to Dortmund's £108 million ($140 million) valuation of Sancho.

ESPN reported, citing unnamed sources, that executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and other senior figures at United have not given Solskjaer’s plan the nod as they believe the early departure of James, who joined the Red Devils last year, would make it appear like the club doesn’t have the “ability to develop” young signings.

James' exit would give United £7 million ($9 million) in profit if a £25 million ($32 million) deal is agreed on, the report said.

James has scored four goals in 47 appearances for United since completing an £18 million move from Swansea in the summer of 2019. However, Solskjaer and his staff have concluded that James is unlikely to become a permanent fixture in United's first team, per ESPN's unnamed tipsters.

As for Sancho, Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc has put an end to the transfer speculation, insisting that the 20-year-old will stay.

"Everything that can be said on this subject has already been said. And nothing more will change that," Zorc recently told Ruhr Nachrichten.

Sky Sports pundit and former Liverpool player Jamie Redknapp, however, predicted that United may succeed in securing a deal for Sancho in the next few days.

"It hasn't gone through yet but I think it will," Redknapp said on Sky Sports' "Pitch to Post" podcast. "You see certain transfers and it is ebbing that way. There's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, and when Manchester United call, or any big club, there's always a premium on players."

"Dortmund want to get as much as they can for someone like Jadon Sancho," he continued. "I get that. But I think he'll be a Manchester United player by the end of the window."

Jadon Sancho of Borussia Dortmund Jadon Sancho of Borussia Dortmund Photo: Getty Images | Alex Gottschalk/DeFodi Images