• The incident took place in South Africa on June 26
  • Following an intensive investigation, the woman confessed to killing the baby
  • She was arrested and charged with murder

A woman in South Africa, who allegedly claimed her 1-month-old baby was kidnapped and killed by two men, has been charged with murder.

The police had arrived at 25-year-old Mimi Mokoena’s residence in Johannesburg on June 26 after being informed that her newborn was kidnapped by two men. The woman told the officers the unknown men forcefully entered the residence and demanded to see her boyfriend. Mokoena added when she told them he was not home, the men allegedly fled the scene with the baby, News 24 reported.

"Mokoena informed the police that two unknown men armed with a firearm, forcefully gained entrance into her shack and demanded to see her boyfriend. Upon being told that the boyfriend was not home, the men allegedly instructed her to seal her and her baby’s mouths with sellotape and ultimately fled from the scene with the baby,” police spokesperson Brigadier Mokgwabone said, Independent Online reported.

The police then registered a case of kidnapping. The following day, the accused told the police a passerby had found the baby on the banks of a river with tape over her mouth.

Following an investigation, the police detained Mokoena for questioning during which, she confessed to the crime.

"Subsequent to an intensive investigation by Bojanala Platinum Sub-District 2’s Trio Task Team, the mother admitted to killing the baby," Mokgwabone said

Mokoena was taken into custody and charged with murder. The motive behind the murder and the weapon used in the crime were not known.

She was expected to appear in court again Thursday. The police said the woman’s boyfriend was not involved in the murder.

Earlier this week, a 30-year-old woman in South Africa was arrested for thrashing her newborn baby to death just after giving birth to the child in a public bathroom. The woman arrived at a hospital with her mother after complaining her stomach was "growing big." While waiting for her turn to meet the doctor, the woman told her mother that she wanted to go to the bathroom. She then went to an adjacent bathroom, where she gave birth to a baby girl, and thrashed her to death.

Representational image. Pixabay