An unidentified woman and her daughter jumped off a local Indian train Saturday to escape a group of men attempting to harm the young girl.

While aboard the Howrah-Jodhpur Express, the 40-year-old mother made numerous attempts to ward off the group of 10 to 15 men, but her efforts were futile. The woman allegedly made two complaints to the onboard constables but suspected the men bribed the police due to their continued harassment. 

The men later became more aggressive, and around 10 p.m. a group of four to five men attacked the 15-year-old daughter while she was on her way to the bathroom, the Hindustan Times reported Monday. 

The mother heard her daughter's screams and immediately tried to fight off her daughter's attackers, however, the woman saw the only way of escape was to exit the moving train immediately. Both the woman and her daughter jumped out of the train and lost consciousness upon impact with the ground below. 

“In the struggle, my daughter’s clothes were torn," the woman said, according to the Hindustan Times. "We had to jump off as we had no choice."

The escaped passengers reportedly did not regain consciousness until two hours later. The injured pair then walked to the nearby Chandari Railway Station where they were picked up by ambulances and received medical help. 

A formal complaint reached the Government Railway Police Sunday, and an investigation was underway. North Central Railway, which operated the Howrah-Jodhpur Express, allegedly made no connection between their company and the incident since the area of which the harassment occurred was "not under (their) jurisdiction." 

"The incident took place near Howrah, which is not under our jurisdiction. When she reported the matter at Rasoolabad near Chandari station, the RPF constables provided her all the assistance and got them admitted to the hospital," said Gaurav Bansal, North Central Railway’s chief PRO, told the Hindustan Times. 

The husband of the woman was alerted about the incident and was set to reunite with his wife and daughter in Kanpur, a city approximately three miles from where the duo was first picked up.