Authorities in Britain are asking that calmness prevail following a riot in Tottenham on Saturday where police cars were torched, stores looted and multiple fires were set in the north London area.

Rioters on Saturday set two patrol cars, a building and a double-decker bus ablaze when they clashed with police in front of the Tottenham Police Station demanding "justice" for the death of a 29-year-old killed in a gunfight.

A Metropolitan police spokesman told the British media that trouble began when "missiles" were thrown at parked patrol cars at 8.30 p.m., and added that one was pushed, blazing, into the middle of Tottenham High Street.

It is being reported that on Sunday people in the gritty Tottenham neighborhood were still lamenting the death of Mark Duggan, the young man killed in a gunfire exchange with police on Thursday.

The Guardian reported that metropolitan police admitted it "had not anticipated" the extreme violence in Tottenham, which has left 26 police officers injured and eight seeking treatment from hospital. Additionally, three members of the public also required medical attention, with two taken to hospital, according to the paper.

Forty-two people have been arrested in connection with the incident for offences including violent disorder, burglary and theft following the torching of buildings, two police cars and a bus, and the ransacking and looting of shops in both Tottenham and nearby Wood Green, according to the Guardian.

It is being reported that the area at the center of the violence has been sealed off as police attempt to restore order.

"Once we saw that situation develop, we deployed people appropriately and eventually took control this morning in the early hours. Today is about restoring calm and bringing peace back to Tottenham," Commander of Metropolitan police Adrian Hanstock said, according to reports.

The violence reportedly followed a demonstration by members of the community outside Tottenham police station after Duggan, a father of four, who was shot after police stopped the minicab he was driving in.

The Guardian said the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating the incident, which also saw a police officer shot, the bullet reportedly lodging in his police radio and leaving him with minor injuries.