A man in Athens, Tenn., was shot and killed by his wife less than 15 minutes after he was released from jail.

The saga began last Saturday, when Athens, Tenn., police officers received a call that 34-year-old Robert Vann Marshall was suicidal and threatening to kill his wife and children, local television outlet WBIR reports.  Authorities later apprehended Marshall at a local Athens Super 8 Motel, discovering a handgun and narcotics pills on his person.

While Marshall was detained, police discovered that there was a standing restraining order against him, which had been filed by his wife, WBIR reports. Marshall was subsequently arrested on firearms and drug charges and taken to the McMinn County Justice Center.

During his brief stint in jail, authorities discussed the restraining order with Marshall and gave him a copy of the document, WBIR reports. He was once again instructed to stay away from his wife and the family home, and was told that he would be arrested if he broke the order again. Marshall was released from jail at 1:27 p.m. Saturday.

By 1:39 p.m., police received a call from Marshall’s Athens home, WBIR reports. Melissa Marshall, his wife, informed authorities that Robert was attempted to gain access to the family house. When police arrived at the scene, Melissa Marshall informed them that she had shot and killed Robert in self-defense.

Athens police officers reportedly found the front door of the Marshall residence kicked in, WBIR reports. In addition, they discovered Robert Marshall’s dead body in a bedroom, where he purportedly suffered a fatal gunshot wound.

"It's a case where domestic violence unfortunately resulted in a loss of life," Athens Sheriff Joe Guy told WBIR. "Court orders won't keep every aggressor away, but are a useful deterrent to acts of violence and further enable officers to have knowledge of the situation."

Authorities have yet to file any charges against Melissa Marshall, as it appears that she shot and killed her husband in self-defense, WBIR reports. Sheriff Guy added that detectives will coordinate with the local district attorney’s office to determine if further action is necessary.