KEY POINTS

  • The magnet included in the kit was found to contain lead levels higher than federal requirements
  • Children are particularly susceptible to lead poisoning
  • Lead levels in children's blood may result in problems such as anemia, hyperactivity and low IQ

A company is recalling its science kit for kids because one of the components violates the lead paint ban. Lead is toxic and known to cause adverse effects when ingested by children.

Anker Play Products' 10-in-1 Incredible Inventions Science Kits contain several items, including balloons, a light bulb, stickers and a rectangle magnet bar that's painted red and blue. According to the recall notice at the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website, the magnet included in the kit actually contains lead levels that "exceed the federal lead paint ban." What's more, the packaging also doesn’t have the necessary warning labels for the magnet and the balloons.

Under the federal requirements, the paint or other surface coating of children's products should not have a lead concentration that exceeds 90 parts per million (ppm). The total lead content of children's products also should not exceed 100 ppm.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), biting or swallowing items that contain lead or are painted using lead-based surface coating can cause lead poisoning in children.

So far, no adverse incidents related to the recall have been reported, but Anker Play Products is advising customers to stop using the kit and take the magnet away from children. A photo of the kit is available on the Anker Play Products' website.

About 13,000 kits are affected by the recall.  Those who have purchased the kit may contact the company to get a full refund.

Lead In Children's Products

According to the EPA, lead has been widely used on many products in people’s homes, including children's toys and even food containers. Due to risks posed by lead, a comprehensive program on using lead in children's products was put in place.

"Lead is particularly dangerous to children because their growing bodies absorb more lead than adults do and their brains and nervous systems are more sensitive to the damaging effects of lead," the EPA said in a statement. The agency added that infants and younger children may be more prone to lead because they tend to put their hands on potentially contaminated objects or surfaces then into their mouths.

The effects of lead in children's blood include hearing problems, anemia, behavior and learning problems, hyperactivity and lower IQ.

To lower the chances of these effects, the EPA further advised that it's important to prevent the exposure before it even happens. Prevention methods include washing children's items often, teaching children to wash or wipe their hands after playing outdoors and keeping the home free from dust.

Toys Pictured: Representative image of children's toys. Photo: Pixabay