Two people were killed and four injured when a small plane crashed near Alaska's Lower Yukon Valley on Saturday evening.

Four survivors were rescued Sunday in a mountainous area about 150 miles west of Anchorage, said Beth Ipsen, a spokesman for the Alaska State Troopers, reports Reuters.

The dead were Julia Walker, 52, of Anvik and pilot Ernest Chase, 66, of Aniak, troopers said Sunday night. The plane was a single engine Cessna 207 and was travelling to Anvik from the town of McGrath.

The survivors were Don and Rosemarie Evans, both 32, and their children Donny, 10, and McKenzie, 8. They were rushed to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, where Don Evans was in good condition Sunday evening and the rest of the family was in fair condition, a hospital spokeswoman told the Anchorage Daily News.

Don and Rosemarie Evans and Walker were teachers at the Anvik school in the Iditarod School District. The Evanses were new to the village and preparing to share a teaching position at the school there. They were in McGrath for six days of training before classes begin Wednesday.

Walker was a lifelong resident of Anvik and an Iditarod School District teacher for nine years. She also served as a board member on the Alaska Village Electric Cooperative for several years.

"Very positive person, hard working dedicated, she never ever turned her back on any kind of kid that needed help," Walker's husband, Robert, told the Baltimore Sun.

Chase had years of flying experience in western Alaska, Inland Aviation co-owner Steve Hill told the Anchorage Daily News.

Inland Aviation received a distress call around 8:22 p.m. on Saturday and notified troopers around 8:45 p.m. The 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center received reports of a signal from the plane's emergency locator transmitter. Attempts were made to reach the site overnight but the Alaska Air National Guard crews, who led the rescue and recovery effort, were hampered by bad weather, according to troopers and the Air Guard.

An Alaska National Guard helicopter finally reached the site on Sunday and rescuers got to the scene around 11 a.m.