KEY POINTS

  • Man Utd lost to Burnley for the first time since 1962 in Premier League
  • Burnley defeated hosts Man Utd 2-0
  • Solskjaer has hinted at more departures this transfer window

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Wednesday Manchester United’s team management has begun to “clear-out” hinting at many players’ departure.

Solskjaer’s comments came soon after Man Utd lost 2-0 at home to Burnley, overall their eighth loss of the season. Man Utd, who are currently placed fifth on the points table, trail fourth-placed Chelsea by six points and leaders Liverpool by 30.

Giving more perspective to Man Utd’s latest loss, Burnley had not defeated the former champions in the league since 1962. While it was a major moment for Sean Dyche’s side, it was Man Utd’s second setback in a span of three days. In their previous Premier League fixture, Man Utd ended on the losing side during their outing to Anfield last Sunday.

The Old Trafford side is still suffering after the departure of the likes of Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Ander Herrera and Antonio Valencia over the summer, while their skipper Ashley Young recently moved to Inter since the transfer window reopened at the beginning of January.

Despite the current injury crisis in the team, Man Utd boss Solskjaer has implied that there would be further exits.

“We are looking to improve, we have got our targets. This is our second defeat at home and first since August. I thought we had turned that corner. We have started a clear-out and now I am going to be answering these questions until it [transfer window] closes. We are working on things."

"For me, the most important thing is we have to perform on the pitch. Tonight wasn't good enough for a Manchester United team,” Solskjaer told media in a post-match interview Wednesday.

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his players were booed off against Burnley Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and his players were booed off against Burnley Photo: AFP / Paul ELLIS

The Norwegian boss, who was appointed as Jose Mourinho's permanent successor less than a year ago, is understood to be under immense pressure with Mauricio Pochettino reportedly waiting to take over.

However, the former Man Utd player has defended his methods and results so far this season.

"We have got to hold our hands up and say it wasn't good enough.  In the first half, we created some half openings but we were not sharp enough to take our chances. They were clinical and efficient and defended well. we couldn't open them up,” Solskjaer explained.

“The boys have given everything they have got but they are experiencing this period for the first time in their lives. When you are at Manchester United you are playing at the biggest and best club in the world. Some of them have played 10, 12, 15 games and it's not easy for them."

"I'm going to back them and help them get through this. We can't do anything but hold our hands up and say it's not good enough. You can talk about it all day long and we are disappointed with our points tally. We work every single day for these boys to improve and perform better than this,” he further explained.