A new nationwide ceasefire deal in Syria announced by Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday appeared to hold early Friday, despite a rocky start, according to reports. Earlier, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, or SOHR, had reported clashes between rebels and government troops.

The clashes reportedly began around midnight, soon after the truce negotiated by Russia and Turkey entered into force. According to UK-based SOHR, rebels violated the ceasefire in Hama province while rebel groups accused the government of violating the truce and shelling areas in Idlib province.

SOHR also reported that there had been no civilian deaths in the night that followed the announcement of the ceasefire. However, monitors reported that there was considerable confusion regarding who was covered under the ceasefire, according to the Guardian.

The Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, formerly known as the al-Nusra Front, believe it would be covered under the ceasefire, Reuters reported, citing rebel sources. However, the Syrian Army has reportedly said that Islamic State group fighters affiliated to the Nusra Front, or any factions linked to ISIS, would continue to be targeted. Ahrar al-Sham, another rebel group, claimed that it had declined to sign the ceasefire deal because of its “reservations” with the truce. 

Putin, who termed the ceasefire as “fragile,” said that the stakeholders in the conflict are ready to participate in peace talks to be held in Astana, the capital of Kazakhstan, which according to Syrian state media will be held soon.

Three documents: a ceasefire agreement between the opposition and the Syrian government; safeguards to ensure the ceasefire works; and a statement of intent to begin peace talks have been signed, according to reports citing Putin.

Meanwhile Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov also urged other nations such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iraq, Jordan, and the United Nations, to join the talks. Lavrov also called on the United States to participate in the peace process when President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

The third ceasefire agreement this year, after the breakdown of two previous ceasefires brokered by the U.S. and Russia in February and September respectively, are seen as vital to resolving a violent conflict that has killed nearly half a million people and displaced over 11 million people since 2011.

"We hope it will be implemented fully and respected by all parties," U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner was quoted as saying to Reuters.