As of the early hours Wednesday, Republican Donald Trump is the president of the United States. Along the way to earning the presidency, he has insulted large swaths of the country, including Muslims, women, Latinos and people-of-color writ large. He also was caught on tape apparently bragging about sexual assault and seemingly mocked a reporter with a disability in a press conference.
But Trump won the presidency and he did so in a shocking reversal of what polling and prediction had suggested. He carried states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan, which many felt were safely blue, despite appearing to have lost the popular vote to Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Here are 28 controversial quotes said by Trump, the United States' next president. These quotes were all either said or discovered during the campaign, but for older controversial comments check in here. The quotes were collected from various sources, including past International Business Times articles, CBS News and CNN.
1. Mexico is sending rapists:
"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."
2. His written statement on banning Muslims (he later walked back the ban instead promoting so-called extreme vetting):
"Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on. According to Pew Research, among others, there is great hatred towards Americans by large segments of the Muslim population."
3. On the conspiracy theory that claimed Texas Sen. Ted Cruz's father was connected to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy (Cruz would later support Trump):
"His father was with Lee Harvey Oswald prior to Oswald's being — you know, shot. I mean, the whole thing is ridiculous... What is this, right prior to his being shot, and nobody even brings it up. They don't even talk about that. That was reported, and nobody talks about it."
4. On Cruz's wife, Heidi:
"Lyin' Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin' Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!"
5. A tweet responding to a mass shooting in Orlando that killed 49 people:
"Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism, I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!"
6. On the gold-star, Muslim-American parents who appeared at the Democratic Convention in support of Clinton:
"I saw him. He was, you know, very emotional. And probably looked like — a nice guy to me. His wife, if you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably — maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say."
7. On the sacrifices he made, compared to the parents of a fallen Muslim-American U.S. soldier:
"I think I've made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I've created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I've had tremendous success. I think I've done a lot."
8. Trump commenting on the Second Amendment, seemingly suggesting gun-owners could kill Clinton should she win the presidency:
"Hillary wants to abolish — essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick, if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know."
9. On Arizona Sen. John McCain, who served in the Vietnam War and was a prisoner of war, surviving incredible torture:
"He’s not a war hero... He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured."
10. To Russian hackers, about Clinton's emails as secretary of state:
"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing."
11. On Jay-Z and Beyonce, Clinton supporters who performed at one of her rallies:
"Jay-Z and Beyonce used the most filthy language you’ve ever heard... Many of the audience left during the audience because it was disgusting, the words, right? They left."
12. On Somali refugees in Minnesota
"How stupid are they to allow this to happen? ... Here in Minnesota, you’ve seen first-hand the problems caused with faulty refugee vetting, with large numbers of Somali refugees coming into your state without your knowledge, without your support or approval, and with some of them then joining ISIS and spreading their extremist views all over our country and all over the world."
13. Talking to himself about staying on message:
"We’ve gotta be nice and cool. Nice and cool. All right? Stay on point, Donald. Stay on point. No sidetracks, Donald."
14. Directed at a person attending a rally:
"Look at my African-American over here."
15. A false claim about Muslims in New Jersey on 9/11:
"I watched when the World Trade Center came tumbling down. And I watched in Jersey City, New Jersey, where thousands and thousands of people were cheering as that building was coming down. Thousands of people were cheering."
16. On his supporters' loyalty:
"You know what else they say about my people? The polls, they say I have the most loyal people. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose any voters, okay? It's like incredible."
17. On grabbing women on a newly surfaced tape from 2005:
"I’ve gotta use some tic tacs, just in case I start kissing her, And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy."
18. To black voters:
"You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58 percen of your youth is unemployed. What the hell do you have to lose?"
19. About his Republican primary opponent Carly Fiorina:
"Look at that face. Would anybody vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president? I mean, she's a woman, and I'm not supposed to say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?"
20. On Islam as a whole:
"I think Islam hates us ... There's a tremendous hatred."
21. Praising Russian President Vladimir Putin, just after MSNBC's Joe Scarborough posed a question about the Russia leader who "kills journalists, political opponents and invades countries":
"He's running his country, and at least he's a leader, unlike what we have in this country."
22. Talking President Barack Obama and the so-called Islamic State group:
"He is the founder of ISIS."
23. Talking Clinton and ISIS:
"And, I would say the co-founder would be crooked Hillary Clinton."
24. On the Chicago shooting death of the cousin of NBA player Dwayne Wade:
"Dwyane Wade's cousin was just shot and killed walking her baby in Chicago. Just what I have been saying. African-Americans will VOTE TRUMP!"
25. Alluding to having sex with his daughter:
"Yeah, she's really something, and what a beauty, that one. If I weren't happily married and, ya know, her father..."
26. Talking hand size and alluding to something else
"Look at these hands. ... I guarantee you there is no problem."
27. In reference to Fox News' Megyn Kelly:
"You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her — wherever."
28. On the United States:
"Our country is in serious trouble. We don't win anymore… We can't beat Mexico, at the border or in trade. We can't do anything right."