Arlene Holmes and the rest of the family of suspected gunman James Holmes have said they will support the Colorado shooting suspect, who allegedly killed 12 people and wounded 58 others.

While Holmes's family members did not express the statement in person, when asked if they stand by the 24-year-old, lawyer and family spokeswoman Lisa Damiani said at a press conference Monday, Yes they do. He's their son.

Damiani added the family was holding up as well as anyone could under the circumstances.

I think everyone can imagine how they're feeling, Damiani said, anyone who's ever been a parent.

In regards to the families involvement in the ongoing investigation, Damiani said that they had spoken to investigators from California, but had not been contacted by police in Colorado.

No one from the Aurora Police Department has contacted us, or asked for assistance, she said. Through Damiani, the suspect's mother Arlene Holmes spoke to ABC News in an effort to clarify a statement she made to the news outlet in the immediate aftermath of the shooting Friday morning.

As reported by IBTimes in the hours following the Colorado shooting, ABC News producer Matthew Mosk had spoken to a woman over the phone believed to be Arlene Holmes at 5 a.m. PST  on July 20.

During the press conference held Monday, Holmes sought to clarify the remarks she made in that phone interview.

I did not know anything about a shooting in Aurora at that time, Arlene Holmes's said in statement read by her lawyer. He [Mosk] asked if I was Arlene Holmes and if my son was James Holmes, who lives in Aurora, Colorado. I answered yes, you have the right person. I was referring to myself. I asked him to tell me why he was calling and he told me about a shooting in Aurora. He asked for a comment. I told him I could not comment because I did not know if the person he was talking about was my son and I would need to find out.

According to ABC News, Mosk said that he awoke Arlene Holmes and informed her that a man, he believed was her son had been arrested in Aurora and asked to confirm their relationship.

Holmes reportedly responded by saying, You have to tell me what happened ... You have to tell me what happened.

The news outlet goes on to report that Mosk said he told her that ABC News had learned the 24-year-old had been identified by police as the lone suspect in the mass killing in Aurora, Colo., and that the details of the events were still taking shape.

You have the right person, was her response, he said. I need to call the police. I need to fly to Colorado.

Furthermore, ABC News added that just prior to the press conference, Damiani contacted the news outlet to determine whether there existed a recording of the pre-dawn conversation between Mosk and her client.

One hour after learning there was no audio recording, Damiani held the conference and read Arlene Holmes' statement, according to ABC News.

Holmes, 24, will be formally charged on Monday, July 30, in the Aurora, Colorado Shooting, according to 18th Judicial District Attorney Carol Chambers.