Less than a day after Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott referred to an increase in “terrorist chatter” in the wake of the attack on a Sydney cafe last week, police on Wednesday arrested two men in the city, one of whom has been charged with possessing documents connected to a planned terrorist attack, according to media reports.  

Sulayman Khalid, 20, a resident of western Sydney, was reportedly found in possession of rifles, shotguns and documents detailing plans to attack government buildings. The other man, a 21-year-old whose name was not disclosed by the police, was arrested for violating a control order -- issued against persons of interest in criminal cases -- prohibiting him from making phone calls, according to media reports.

After the arrests, Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan reportedly said that the arrests were related to “activity that has been going for a while now” and that police had foiled a plot to attack government targets in the country, Agence France-Presse reported.

“I am confident that we've disrupted the activity that they were planning. And that is all I'm prepared to say at this particular point,” Phelan reportedly said.