Showrooms and runways were overtaken by swirling masses of tulle, organza and lace as wedding season arrived early this month with the debut of the bridal collections for New York’s Bridal Fashion Week.
This season saw the fall 2017 bridal collections from brands like Marchesa, Sachin & Babi, Reem Acra and others debut in shows from Wednesday through Monday. From the traditional to the singular, here are the top 10 gowns -- fit for any bride – from New York Bridal Fashion Week.
1. Marchesa: Marchesa designers Keren Craig and Georgina Chapman are an unmatched force in the bridal world, and are renown for producing the ultimate fairy tale wedding gowns. This fit and flare gown was understated, while the off-shoulder lace bodice offered something a little unexpected.
2. Viktor & Rolf: Viktor Horsting and Rolf Snoeren partnered with bridal designer Justin Alexander to unveil the Dutch brand’s very first full bridal collection this season. Their white jumpsuit with a bow fastened at the waist was a modern, alternative take on traditional bride attire.
3. Sachin & Babi: Sachin & Babi let the dresses do the talking for its fall 2017 bridal collection. No need for added extras with this lightweight, origami-like gown.
4. Zac Posen for David’s Bridal: Zac Posen teamed up with David’s Bridal to release a collection of sweeping, princess-like gowns. This gown spelled “drama” with its full skirt and sweetheart neckline.
5. Mark Zunino for Kleinfeld: One of the most unexpected gowns to grace the runway came courtesy of Mark Zunino for Kleinfeld. The closing gown was adorned in appliquéd flowers in varying shades of pink and a plunging v-neckline.
6. Lela Rose: A cream lace and tulle strapless gown from Lela Rose got a vintage update with the short veil.
7. Reem Acra: Reem Acra featured an assortment of couture-meets-bohemian dresses that were not for the shyest of brides -- floor-length gowns were designed with strategically layered, virtually transparent lace.
8. Theia: The collection spoke to the bridal and evening wear label’s name, and showed a variety of Grecian and goddess-like wedding gowns. This gown is surely for the free-spirited with its easy silhouette and bell sleeves.
9. Pnina Tornai for Kleinfeld: This Pnina’s Tornai for Kleinfeld gown nodded to the ‘70s with its long lace sleeves and layered lace mermaid skirt.
10. Francesca Miranda: Worthy of an Oscar Award, this embellished Francesca Miranda gown was an elegant and refined dress that offered a counterpoint to the collection’s ball gowns and bodices adorned in 3-d butterfly details.