After months of waiting, the fifth and final season of “Boardwalk Empire” will premiere on HBO on Sunday, Sept. 7, at 9 p.m. EDT. The award-winning series, which chronicled politician and gangster Nucky Thompson’s (Steve Buscemi) life in Atlantic City throughout the 1920’s, premiered in 2010 -- but all good things must come to an end. Meanwhile, as the posters for the final season tease, “No one goes quietly.”
Check out 8 spoilers for the upcoming season before the premiere on Sept. 7:
1. Season 4 Recap – Don’t fret if you missed Season 4 of “Boardwalk Empire.” HBO put together a nine-minute video to recap the previous season. Watch it below:
2. New Year – Say goodbye to the 1920’s because “Boardwalk Empire” Season 5 will kick off in 1931. The time jump will allow for the new season to incorporate the struggles of the Great Depression and the end of Prohibition.
3. Season 5 Plot – According to the official HBO synopsis, Nucky will look to form an alliance with liquor producers in order to legitimize himself. However, that doesn’t mean Nucky’s rivals are sitting idly by. Lucky Luciano (Vincent Piazza) and Meyer Lansky (Anatol Yusef) will “seek to consolidate their power in the wake of Arnold Rothstein’s death and eliminate all competition -- by an means necessary.”
4. Episode 1 Synopsis – The Season 5 premiere, titled “Golden Days for Boys and Girls,” will find Nucky in a flashback to 1884 when he first met the Commodore (John Ellison Conlee). But in present day, the gangster will be cutting ties with Bacardi Rum in Cuba. Meanwhile, Margaret (Kelly Macdonald) will be in a bit of trouble on Wall Street when her boss faces an internal investigation; and Lucky Luciano “sets in motion a bold plan that reverberates all the way to Nucky in Cuba.”
5. Nucky’s Flashbacks – The flashbacks won’t just be featured in the premiere. TV Guide teases that “Boardwalk Empire” viewers will see “a lot” of young Nucky from his days working for the Commodore. The flashbacks will “underline just how alone Nucky is in the present day.”
6. A Character Death – The premiere time jump will force one character to die off-screen. That doesn’t mean death will be absent in the first episode though. According to TV Guide the Season 5 premiere will feature a “hit on a major player as well as an assassination that fails.”
7. Newcomers – “Boardwalk Empire” fans will welcome a new face in Season 5. E! News reports that the final season will introduce Robert Hodge, a U.S. Attorney who is a “confident crusader” and “very put-together. Hodge will be a recurring character.
8. Episode Titles – The titles for episodes 1 -8 are as follows:
Episode 1: “Golden Days for Boys and Girls”
Episode 2: “The Good Listener”
Episode 3: “What Jesus Said”
Episode 4: “Cuanto”
Episode 5: “King of Norway”
Episode 6: “Devil You Know”
Episode 7: “Friendless Child”
Episode 8: “Eldorado”
“Boardwalk Empire” Season 5 premieres on HBO on Sunday, Sept. 7, at 9 p.m. ET. Will you be tuning in? Tweet your thoughts about the final season to @AmandaTVScoop.