Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Wednesday that the shooting incidents that killed a soldier and injured two others in the country’s capital would not intimidate Canada and would only strengthen the country’s resolve to fight Islamic terrorism around the world. “Canada is not immune to the terrorist attacks we have seen elsewhere around the world,” Harper said. “We will not be intimidated. We will never be intimidated."
He also said the shootings were an attack on Canada's ideals as a free democratic nation.
“This will lead us to strengthen our resolve … and keep Canada safe at home,” Harper said. And he promised that Canada would redouble its efforts to fight against militants around the world, saying, "They will have no safe haven."
Canadian Forces reserve soldier Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24, was shot Wednesday morning while standing guard at the National War Memorial and later died from his wounds. The suspected gunman, identified as Canadian citizen Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, then entered Canada’s capital government buildings and fired at least 30 shots, injuring at least two people. Police shot and killed the suspected shooter. Hours later, more shots were fired near a mall less than a mile away and police told Ottawa residents to barricade themselves in their homes as they searched for more possible shooters.
The attacks came after the Canadian parliament voted on Oct. 7 to join U.S.-led air strikes against Islamic State militants in Iraq. On Tuesday, Canada raised its terrorist attack level from “low” to “medium” after a Quebec man who had been monitored by the police for trying to reach Turkey and join Islamic State fighters killed two Canadian soldiers Monday in a hit-and-run attack.