The median pay package for a chief executive officer is more than $10 million, according to a study by the Associated Press and Equilar, an executive pay research firm.
This is the highest it has been since before the 2008-09 financial crisis and recession, and the figure has climbed more than 50 percent since that year. CEO pay packages were calculated by including salary, bonus, perks, stock awards, stock option awards and “other pay components,” according to the AP.
The study found that female CEOs had a median pay package that exceeded that of male CEOs by $1.2 million: the female median was $11.7 million compared to a $10.5 million median for men, the study found. However, of the 337 executives polled for the study, only 12 were women.
The highest paid CEO is Anthony Petrello of Nabors Industries, who made $68.2 million in 2013. Petrello makes 1,539 times more than the average American salary, which is $44,321, according to National Wage Index for 2012. In second place is Leslie Moonves of CBS with $65.6 million. Richard Adkerson of Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold was third with $55.3 million, followed by Stephen Kaufer of TripAdvisor, who made $39 million, and Phillippe Dauman of Viacom with $37.2 million. Dauman makes 839 times more than the national salary average.
Of the top 10 highest-paid CEOs of 2013, none are women, according to the AP/Equilar list.
Here are the top 10 highest-paid female CEOs for the fiscal year ending in 2013, according to data from Bloomberg Businessweek and salary.com’s salary wizard.
1. Marillyn A. Hewson, CEO of Lockheed Martin Corp
7. Marillyn Hewson, CEO de Lockheed Martin pic.twitter.com/w1PtSdpvmU
— Conferencias © MX (@LasConferencias) March 29, 2014
2. Marissa A. Mayer, President and CEO of Yahoo Inc.
Compensation: $24, 935, 712
3. Carol Meyrowitz TJX COMPANIES INC
— Harvard Biz Review (@HarvardBiz) April 23, 2014
4. Meg Whitman, President and CEO of Hewlett-Packard Compensation: $17,643,243
5. Indra K. Nooyi, Chairperson and CEO of PepsiCo
6. Ellen Kullman, CEO and Chair of Board of Directors at DuPont
Compensation: $ 14,152,638
7. Virginia Rometty, Chairman, Prisdent and CEO International Business Machines Corp.
8. Irene Rosenfeld, Chairman and CEO of Mondelez International Inc.
9. Rosalind Brewer, CEO Sam’s Club Segment, Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
— Marella (@ms_rella) March 26, 2014
10. Sharen Turney, President and CEO of Victoria Secret
— Delta Gamma WLU (@deltagammawlu) February 13, 2014