Channing Tatum may drop out of his much-herelded comic book project “Gambit,” The Wrap is reporting. According to the reports, the deal between the actor and 20th Century Fox is in trouble.
A source tells the site that the “Magic Mike XXL” actor is planning to walk out of the film. Another source, however, says Tatum’s representatives are still in touch with the studio and figuring out things. But the source did say that “something is up.” There is no confirmation of Tatum’s plan to leave “Gambit,” and director Rupert Wyatt is reportedly casting other actors.
“Gambit" is scheduled for release on Oct. 7, 2017, and Tatum has previously said he is passionate about playing the part.
“I would do anything to be in those movies. I mean, I love the Marvel world and what they’ve created as a real brand and they’ve sort of changed the face of the industry. I would be in anything they put up, especially 'Gambit,'” he told Screen Rant. Tatum added in another interview that he is thrilled to play the lead in “Gambit” and that it will be unlike other superhero movie.
"None of us were sure how he was going to deal with the X-Men world. But we're going to be changing some of the tropes of these movies. It's always about saving the world [laughs], but maybe we're going to shift things a little bit,” he had said to The Hollywood Reporter.
Joshua Zetumer is writing the screenplay. Tatum is also a producer of the film along with Simon Kinberg, Reid Carolin, and Lauren Shuler Donner. The rest of the cast is not known.