UPDATE 2:13 p.m. EST: "This is not a situation where a guy came here looking to shoot somebody," Clarke said. WITI reports that the suspect is 22 years old.

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin also gave the following update via Twitter:


UPDATE 2:03 p.m. EST: Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke said Milwaukee Police Department officers conducting a warrant pickup shot the suspect, who was wanted on felony possession of a firearm. He wouldnt't discuss whether the suspect was able to fire off any shots.

"No hospital personnel have been injured in this incident," Clarke told a 2 p.m. news conference.

He said authorities received a call around 11:59 a.m. of an active shooter at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin. The officers approached the suspect, who was holding a baby in the neonatal progressive care unit of the hospital, and told him he was under arrest. The suspect then put the baby down and indicated he wanted to cooperate, but instead fled down a hallway.

The suspect then produced a handgun, and officers fired several shots at him, and he is being treated at a local hospital. Clarke said the baby and the baby's mother are "fine."

After Clarke was questioned about the officers' tactics, he responded by commenting on the suspect bringing a gun to a children's hospital.

"What's this idiot doing in a neonatal caree unit with a handgun?" the sheriff asked rhetorically.

Original story:

Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin in Milwaukee reported shots fired inside the facility Thursday afternoon, according to a statement from the hospital obtained by Milwaukee television station WITI.

“Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin is currently on lockdown while law enforcement responds to a report of an active shooter. We have implemented our emergency protocols and will provide updates as available,” the statement read.

According to a law enforcement source that spoke with WITI, a “wanted person” was shot and injured by police at the hospital. He’s now in custody, the station said. Police involved in the incident were not hurt.

The hospital acknowledged the situation on its Twitter account: